38. Incoming Storm

Sonic and Amy headed to Tails' place, and Manic left behind to guard her house. Once they came, Vanilla saw them and immediately let them in and brought them something to eat and drink. Amy had some tea and strawberry bread, but Sonic asked for Tails. Vanilla telling him that he's just in the basement, tinkering his works since he was alright.

He came down the basement, along with the briefcase in hand. Tails saw him and the two take each other with caring hugs and Sonic quickly cut to the chase.

"You will not believe this but, I think I know where the gem is." Sonic says and opened the case as Tails' eyes widened. "It's just here...?"

"Shadow must've stolen this from GUN... I don't want to conclude things about him, but I'm sure that the fact for this is that he's under Soreth's control." Tails made in uneasy shift to where he is standing. "I'm here to examine it, don't I?" Sonic only nodded.

While Tails did some observations on the gem, Sonic then headed up and was offered some water to drink. Amy then told him that they'd check out Shadow to see what he'd been doing. They did, and both felt goosebumps all over their fur. He knocked on the door and waited for an answer. When the door didn't open, they went in.

"Shadow...?" Sonic hurried to his side and saw he was shifting uneasily in his sleep. He was sweating a lot and Amy quickly went out to get a towel, came back and used it to wipe him. Sonic gently shook him to wake and Shadow stirred.

"Shadow..." Sonic gave him a worried look. That's until Shadow launched himself onto him and gave him a tight hug. The blue hedgehog got startled by the sudden action but he smiled and comforted him. Shadow had no words to describe what he wanted to say and Sonic felt that he needed him, so does he. A minute later, Shadow detached himself from him and Amy had fetched him a water, then left the two to talk.

"How's it going?" Sonic asked first, hand on hand with Shadow. "I..." He didn't want to show him that he was weak in this moment. He struggled picking the right words to tell him. "I don't want to feel weak right now... I don't want to but my body... I can't handle it." He was shaking when he told him.

"I don't know how long I can fight him. There should be a cure to remove this...curse. But if that's possible, there's one thing I wanted to do." He motioned for Sonic to lean close to him and gave a soft peck on his cheek. "I don't want to die sad. I want to always remember you once I'm gone. I don't want you to live in a world of devastation, because of me..." He breathed in his words and look at him hard.

"Promise me...you'll stop me from doing it."

"No...d-don't say that to m-me..." Sonic's words shook as he held him in his arms. Tears were threatening to spill but he put on a straight face. "Don't tell me that you'll be gone! You can't give in! You have something to fight for!" He wanted to give hina piece of his mind but at Shadow's state, he might breakdown if he did so. Shadow held his hand on his face and gave him a warm smile which light up their world.

"I won't be gone. At least in your heart and mind. Just promise me... I wanted you to be the one to end me." Sonic started to cry. He thought he would be failing him now. But Shadow's smile reminded him of what he was fighting for. For justice, for all. And for his love. He held the other's hand and kissed it gently, spreading his warmth.

Shadow was feeling the closeness of their bond, but at that moment it broke.

He felt his chest burning in pain as he hold it and gripped on his furry chest. He let go of Sonic and laid back on bed, struggling to relieve himself. The blue hedgehog stood up and tried to get to him, but he felt that there's something wrong with the way he was moving. He felt the warmth of them both gone, replaced by an undesirable, cold aura that made him shiver from where he was standing.