Chapter 19: Minutes Felt Eternity

“We’ll be making New York Cheesecake for today’s activity. This is considered as your fifth quiz.” Mrs. Flinston announced.

She gave us our recipe paper and we did what the instruction said.

And like usual, Drew and I will do the crust while Blake and Chace will do the filling.

But this time, we’ll do the New York cheesecake together. The real thing.

“So what’s first?” Blake asked.

I read to him the instruction.

In a bowl of your electric mixer place the cream cheese, sugar, and flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth (about 2 minutes), scraping down the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well (about 30 seconds) after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the whipping cream, lemon zest, vanilla extract and beat until incorporated. Remove the crust from the refrigerator and pour in the filling. Place the cheesecake pan on a larger baking pan and place in the oven.Bake for 15 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) and continue to bake for about another 60 - 90 minutes or until firm and only the center of the cheesecake looks a little wet and wobbly. (The baking time can vary due to the differences in ovens, so make sure to check that the cheesecake is firm with only the center being a little wet and wobbly.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.

“Let’s divide the work. Drew get the things. Chace and you can help me with this.” Blake said.

So we did everything the instruction said.

~~

We let the teacher ate our work and the next thing she said was, “After class, go to my office.”

What did we do wrong?

Did we do the same mistake as last time?

“You can have your breaks first for 20 minutes then after that, go to my office.” Then Mrs. Flinston went to the other groups.

“Is something wrong with what we made?” Drew wondered.

“I’ll try it.” Chace said as he took a fork at our counter and tasted it.

“It seems fine.” Chace said.

“Then why is she making us go to the office? She sounded so serious.” I said.

“I don’t know. Let’s get some fresh air for a while. It’ll calm us down.” Blake suggested.

We went to the school’s garden without saying a word. I checked my violet ice watch and five minutes has just passed from our break. Ugh! Time is ticking so slow today!

I laid down on the grass and let the sun rays scan my skin.

I sighed.

“I just don’t get what went wrong.” Drew suddenly said. The awkward silence disappeared. He rubbed his temples.

I sighed again. “Maybe that wasn’t supposed to be the flavour.”

“I read the instruction twice. What went wrong? We did everything right!” Drew said in frustration.

“Stop fussing over it. It’ll make the problem worse.” Chace said.

Drew suddenly stood up.

“Do you even care for our grade?!” Drew said clutching his fist.

“Woah man, chill!” Blake said pushing Drew away from Chace.

Chace just sighed. He was seating down in the grass beside me and I looked at him.