Chapter 21

I was drumming my fingers impatiently on my lap as Gray drove the car to wherever it is he wanted to take me to. Surprise, surprise, surprise. But you know what? I hate surprises! But then again, who doesn't? Wait, maybe some people do.

I would've jumped up and down for joy when the car finally – emphasis on the word 'finally' here – came to a stop, but then again, I am sitting in the car, so, if I did, I would either a) injure myself or b) destroy something valuable in the process.

So, I just sat there as my insides leapt up and down for joy for me.

I started to open the car door but Gray locked it. I rolled my eyes. What is he trying to do? Doesn't he know that this method of trying to lock people in is too overused? I lifted my hand to unlock the door for myself when he interrupted me.

"Wait for a sec. Don't go out yet."

I shrugged. "Fine."

He leaned back to grab something in the back seat of the car. I tried to get a glimpse of whatever it was but it was covered with a white cloth, so any attempt of trying to find out what it was by sight proved to be futile.

"Stay here. I'll come and get you soon."

He got out and left me in the car, waiting for him to 'come get me soon' as he claimed.

I tried my best to wait as patiently as possible for Gray to do whatever it is that he wanted to do. I had to wait for a whole five minutes – which feels like a very long time especially if you have absolutely nothing to do – before he came back to get me.

He went over to the passenger's side of the car and opened the door for me.

"Come on," he urged, holding a hand out for me to grab it.

My lips curved up into a smile as I grabbed his hand. "Okay," I nodded as he helped me out of the car. "Let's go, since you seem so jumpy now," I teased.

He chuckled, but didn't say anything in reply.

I let him lead me to wherever it is he wanted to lead me to, without complain. I was just trailing blindly behind him like a chick following its mother hen, or a loyal dog following its owner; without any questions.

"Here we are, Willow," he said, pushing aside some leaves that were blocking him from moving any further.

I looked around, slowly taking in my surroundings. There were loads of leaves hanging down from a tree, forming a curtain of leaves. Small leaves from the tree itself were scattered all around the place.

I could see a blanket sprawled out in the middle of it all, with a picnic basket sitting on one end of the blanket. Small pink cherry blossoms were arranged neatly all around the place, forming a heart shape.

And then, it hit me. I realised exactly where we were. Gray had brought me here, just to celebrate my birthday for me. How sweet!

Gray had brought me under a weeping willow tree.

I am going to have a picnic with Gray under a willow tree to celebrate my birthday.

I simply couldn't believe my eyes. This is all just so... Magical... It all looks too beautiful to be true. Too gorgeous to be real. A genuine mega-watt smile was plastered on my face.

I can't believe I have never noticed the world's beauty before. It's just so wonderful. It's such a wonderful thing. How could I have not noticed Mother Nature before? The wonderful Mother Nature that God Himself invented.