Chapter 19

"Thank you for the ride, Mister," I said teasingly formally to Gray.

He rolled his eyes. "You know, if you said that out loud in public, I'd probably say 'I don't know her' to everyone who walks past us?"

I chuckled at his remark. "Anyways, want to come over for dinner?"

He nodded in reply. "Sure. I'd love to."

"Okay. See you then!" I replied.

He wound the windows back up. I waved to him from outside the car, and he mouthed the word 'bye' back to me instead. Or maybe he said it but it was just too soft for me to hear it. I watched as he drove down the road, and disappeared from my sight.

I turned my heel and walked back into the apartment building. I stopped outside my apartment door as I searched for my keys. Once I found it, I thrust the slightly rusted metal key into the keyhole and turned the lock. I heard the lock clicked – indicating that it's unlocked – and twisted the doorknob, and opened the door.

I went straight into my room without stopping at any place else to get a snack or whatever, and plopped onto my bed. I immediately took off my gloves. Then, I forcefully pulled out my boots, but it didn't budge. After several more vain attempts, I realised that my shoelace wasn't untied yet. Scowling, I untied it and pulled the shoe off.

Ah! This feels so much better!

I massaged my aching feet for a while, before glancing at the clock. 6.07 pm. Wow! We wasted about six hours for nothing! What a waste of time. I shouldn't have suggested that idea. Now, I feel so guilty for stealing six hours of Gray's time.

And aside from that, I've probably made him very tired and hot and sweaty and all .And maybe sleepy too. With aching muscles. Because that's definitely how I feel.

So, you know what? Time for a bath!

I got off my bed and made a beeline for the bathroom, and closed the door behind me. I began stripping myself of all my clothes before stepping into the warm and nice shower. The wonderful warm water came in contact with my bare skin, and I felt a surge of relief coursing through my veins, unknotting my muscles at the same time.

So much better.

The shower made me forget all the terrible things that have happened to me up to now. It totally cleared my mind. And I actually feel kind of grateful for it. I've never felt this calm before, not like the past few weeks – or even years – or so.

I could feel a comforting and slightly peaceful warmth spread throughout my body. I felt... I felt... What's that word? Oh, oh right. I felt... Bliss.

And it also made me feel the happiest I've felt since the accident that happened roughly three years ago.

~~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~~

"Hey! What's cooking?" Gray asked, trying in vain to make it sound humorous the way he says it, planting a kiss on my cheek at the same time, something he's rarely done since... I don't know when.

"Chinese. I hope you don't mind, but I haven't eaten Chinese food in a long time."

My mum used to cook Chinese all the time. She picked up the skill as she loves cooking, and she'd go for courses all the time. And she taught me a few things along the way. And I might've picked up a few of her secrets as well. I also have not eaten Chinese food since... Oh, I don't know. I also don't want to think about it.

He chuckled and kissed me once more, but this time, it was a peck on the lips. "Oh, I don't mind at all. Don't you know how much I love Chinese?"

"Was that sarcasm I sensed there?" I accused.