Chapter 10

Ring!

The bell signalling the end of school echoed through the empty hallways and the classrooms. Honestly speaking, I am not really looking forward to the rest of today, at all. I still haven't received any threats from him since that last message though... Which is very awkward, considering the amount of text messages he has been sending me these few days.

"Willow tree... Let's go..." Gray whispered into my ear.

I nodded slightly and walked slowly out of the classroom, trailing behind him, my knees feel like they're growing weak. I didn't feel like coming to school in the first place this morning. I felt like just staying at home for the whole day.

But of course, I can't.

The minute we stepped outside of the school building, the chilly and cool breeze made us shiver. Well, I did anyway. We reached Gray's car and he held open the car door for me to enter.

"Thank you," I mumbled, before slipping in.

He got into the driver's seat and immediately revved up the car, as if by instinct. He pulled out of the school parking lot and drove onto the main road.

"You know something ironic?" he asked randomly.

"What?" I replied without thinking.

"There are lots of lots in a parking lot."

I chuckled at his failed attempt of a joke. I shook my head. "Seriously? That is so random."

He snickered at my comment. "I know."

I rolled my eyes. And the nervousness just came flooding back to me. I started drumming my fingers on my lap. Not rhythmic at all. Just five more minutes, just five more minutes, just five more minutes, I tell myself, trying, in vain, to comfort myself, but obviously failing at it.

"Willow tree... Are you alright?" Gray asked me, his voice full of concern, glancing at me from the driver's side.

Once again, I gave him a silent nod in answer to his question. I heard him sigh loudly from beside me as he continued driving down the road, both his eyes totally focused on the road ahead, while both of mine were focused on my fingers.

I closed my eyes in exhaustion, but I felt my heart started beating faster, a lot faster. Calm down Willow, calm down. There's nothing to worry about, Willow, nothing at all. Gosh! If anyone could read my thoughts, they'd probably think I was trying to comfort a three-year-old or something.

I chuckled at my own failed attempt of trying to comfort myself.

I leaned my head against the window, cold from the chilly air on the outside. But honestly speaking, it is not very cold already. Normally, it should be a lot colder this time of year – which is around mid-winter – but apparently, not this year. Normally...

My fingers eventually stopped drumming against my thigh due to boredom. Yes, even fingers can get bored! Not the sarcasm. So, I just sat there, in the passenger's seat of Gray's silver Toyota Altis, almost totally motionless.

So just sat there, listening to the soft droning sound of the car engine that was bound to eventually lull me to sleep at one point or another. If the drive were at least an hour long.

I opened my eyes and looked out onto the road. I noticed that I'm almost home. I'm almost home. Don't worry Willow, you're almost home. See, those messages that I have been receiving are all just empty threats sent by a jealous high scholar. They're all just empty, useless threats, used to get on one's nerve or make their skin crawl.