Chapter 16

I am pretty sure I should not trust someone who lied to me – big time! – or rather, held back most of the truth from me, so quickly. But I did it anyway. After all, I don't really mind. I know him. I know that he does everything for a reason. And that he would have his own reason for not telling me either.

"You know what I would love to do the most right now?" I asked Gray thoughtfully and absent-mindedly, breaking the awkward silence between us.

"What?"

"To find out something about how my family – or rather, I – am involved in that organisation thing that Desmond runs..."

Gray turned to look at me, cocking his head at the same time. Amusement and mischief twinkled in his eyes. "It's really not as easy as you think. They have... Tools, technology. We don't."

"But we have courage. And the spirit of adventure. And besides, there are only two of us. It's a small chance that they will spot us in crowds of people," I pointed out.

"True... True..." he replied thoughtfully.

"But...?"

He chuckled. "You know me so well... But I don't think it's a good idea."

"Come on!" I pleaded with him, using my puppy dog eyes which I know perfectly well that it's his weakness. "Just this one time?"

He glared at me for a while, as if trying to resist my puppy dog face. But eventually, he gave up and sighed, clearly defeated. "Fine, Willow. But just this one time."

I nodded eagerly in reply. Yes! Maybe I'll find out something about whatever Dad wants to tell me at eighteen. Or how he knew that he was about to die on that very day. Maybe he was involved in this? I don't know why, but I just have the hunch that he was.

For one panic-stricken moment, I thought I saw fear flashed in his eyes. But I can't be sure, because it was gone almost as quickly as it came. It was as though it never happened.

He sighed softly from beside me. "I sure hope you know what we are up against. And how much risk you are about to take," I heard him mutter from beside me.

~~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~~

I am totally surprised that I have these many clothes in my closet. I thought that I barely had any clothes at all in my house. Apparently, I was wrong.

I found clothes in the container of presents that was sent to me on many different occasions, but was never opened. I found it in the store room where I keep the stuff that I still want; the stuff I brought with me from my old house. Heck, I even found clothes in the bathroom!

I somehow managed to fish out a cream-coloured trench coat, a pair of black leather gloves, a pair of tights with denim pattern on them and a pair of brown leather high heel boots I normally use to formal events during the winter – well, my sister did anyway... – in the huge messy pile of clothes that I dumped on the floor of my room.

I never thought I'd say this, but perfect.

I wonder what Gray is going to wear for today's so-called 'outing'.

Hopefully it's nothing too obvious or suspicious looking.

I yanked open my chest of belongings at the foot of my bed and peered inside. I have never been able to summon up the courage to open this chest as it reminds me too much of the time when my family was still alive.

I myself am surprised by the amount of accessories and jewelleries I have in here. I dug through all of them. It took me approximately seven minutes to find the perfect accessories to go with my perfect outfit: a pair of huge sunglasses, a pair of diamond-studded loop earrings and a few multi-coloured bangles.