Chapter 20

After that text message last night, I didn't dare to do anything else. I didn't dare to do anything else because I was afraid that there would be someone watching me, someone eyeing on me, someone spying my every move. Maybe there was. So, I also did not dare to open the envelope – or the folder either – which kind of pissed me out as I was dying to know what was inside.

I only dared to open it the next day, but I left the folder untouched. I carefully tore open the slightly yellowish envelope. It looked very antique, as it had those kind of red seals that was used all the time in those antique times.

I quickly emptied the contents of the envelope on my bed. There were a bunch of paper in it, all yellowed with age. Which made me wonder: how long has this envelope been kept for?

I picked up the biggest piece, which was folded in half, and unfolded it. I smoothen it out on my bed. It was a... Letter... An 'information letter' according to the title on the top. More than that. The title has... My father's name. Vincent Rayne. An 'information letter' on Vincent Rayne. What did he possibly do?

Honestly speaking, looking from an outsider's point of view, it has everything one ever needs to know. Some things, even I don't know, or even understand. But... Why? Why is this here? Why is there a letter about Dad?

Who is the sender?

Who was this addressed to?

And most of all, why in the world does Desmond have this?

I unfolded the another two more papers. This time, they were 'information letters' about my sis and my mum respectively. And that still brings up the question: why in the world does Desmond have this? Is he, like, a stalker or something? Why does he have all of these information?

I was almost scared to open the last one.

But I still did it anyway; go thank my curiosity for it.

Not surprisingly, the last one was about me. Everything about me. Everything imaginable that all pointed to the name 'Willow Rayne'. It has everything. From my school schedule to my list of favourites to my GPA to my after-school activities. Heck, even my phone number, FB account and Twitter username are in there!

Who is this guy? This gives me the impression of him being a very... Creepy. Person. Honestly speaking, it's almost as if he wants me to read it. Well, that's the impression I've gotten anyway. It's almost as if... He's begging me to read it.

I checked the envelope once more and even shook it vigorously to make sure that there aren't anything that I had missed out on. True enough, I did. A small piece of paper – that is not yellowed – and a yellow Sticky Note fell out of it and fluttered onto the bed.

With extremely shaky hands, I picked up the small piece of paper, not wanting to read what's on the Sticky Note. I unfolded it. It was a letter. And it was dated... Almost five whole years ago. And I read it, and this is what it read:

"Desmond...

I will pay you any sum of money, any sum at all, to get this job done. It's very crucial that it's done properly. I will pay you any sum, just open your mouth and ask. Whatever digits you have in your head, just tell me. I know I can just tell you all this orally anytime, but I think it would be easier for everyone if I just wrote this. You should know the reason I am requesting you to do this job for me; I've told you countless times already. I want you to do this for the benefit of my brother. My poor, poor brother. Who doesn't know what's important and what's not. Who has gotten his priorities wrong. Who doesn't know what we have in store for him. So much, and he has to fulfil it. And if you get this job done, you'll get the only distraction out of the way. He has to know that what we have is so much more than anything the world has to offer for him – including getting himself a girlfriend. Remember baby, anything? Just ask.