Polar Bears

The Polar Bear inhabits the ice floes and islands around the North Pole. It lives mainly on seals, but also on other animals of the tundra, and in the summer it consumes various berries. The Polar Bear, which grows to be approximately 900 pounds (the biggest animals reaching approximately 2,000 pounds), is impervious to cold because of its water-repellent fur and thick layer of fat.

At the beginning of winter, pregnant bears dig dens in the snow. It is the shelter of these dens that bring their young into the world. The young animals are nourished exclusively from provision stored by the mother. Not until March do they leave the dens. Then for nearly, two years, they accompany their mother until the young learn to provide for themselves.

Other than men, the Polar Bear has few enemies. Above all else, their innate curiosity leads them into trouble. Ships, human settlements, isolated log cabins, and garbage dumps attract many Polar Bears like a magnet. So it is relatively easy for a hunter to trap or hunt Polar Bears for the sake of their highly valued furs. 

The Polar Bear has been protected for years in its entire natural habitat by international agreements, so that today there approximately 20,000 in existence.