Western Pigmy Rattlesnake

Family: Viperidae (vipers and pit vipers) in the order Squamata (lizards and snakes)

Description: The western pygmy rattlesnake is a small, colorful rattlesnake with a slender tail and tiny rattle. General color is light brownish gray, with a row of small, dark brown spots on the back and similar spots on each side. Most specimens also have a rust-colored stripe down the back. The belly is usually gray or dusky cream-colored, with numerous irregularly spaced bars. The head has a distinct black stripe that angles from the eye to the corner of the mouth, and a sensory pit located between each nostril and eye. The tail is thin and has a tiny rattle. Like other venomous snakes, they have "pits" on the sides of their heads, and the pupils are diamond-shaped in daylight (not round).

The disposition of this rattlesnake varies from individual to individual. Some will try to defend themselves vigorously by coiling, sounding their rattles, jerking their head, and striking at any movement. Others remain motionless and try to escape only when touched by a stick or snake hook. The sound of the vibrating rattle is a faint buzz, like the sound of a grasshopper, and can be heard for only about a yard away.

Similar species: Three other rattlesnakes are known from Missouri. The timber rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) occurs statewide; adults are 3 to 5 feet long and have large rattles. Our other two rattlesnakes are massasaugas; they are rare and only found in northern Missouri.

Size: Length: 15 to 20 inches. This is one of the smallest species of rattlesnakes in North America.

Prefers south-facing, rocky, partially wooded hillsides, near glades, in woods near rock ledges, and along the margins of forests and meadows. In late spring and early summer, it basks in rocky open areas, near brush piles, or along roadsides near woodlands and glades. In July and August it tends to be nocturnal and can be seen crossing roads at night. It takes shelter under rocks in spring, early summer, and autumn. It also retreats into abandoned small mammal burrows, logs, and brush piles.

Food includes a variety of small lizards, small snakes, mice, some small frogs, and insects. Western pygmy rattlesnakes have hollow fangs to inject venom into their prey, and heat-sensitive pits between the eyes and nostrils that allow them to detect and strike warm-blooded prey (such as rodents) even in total darkness.

This species is normally active from mid-April to mid-October. Courtship and breeding apparently occur in the spring. Young are born from late August through September with 3–7 young per litter. Newborns are paler than the adults, have a yellow tail tip, and are about 4–7½ inches long. In our state, it appears that females typically only breed every other year.