Western Massasauga

Western Massasauga 

Sistrurus catenatus tergeminus

The Western Massasauga has tan-gray or light gray background color with dark brown blotches. The underside is light with some dark markings. The head has a dark broad stripe along each side. They have a high pitches rattle sound, giving them the nickname buzztail. They are mainly nocturnal, but are sometimes seen basking in the sun during the day. They are most often seen after rain storms.

Other common names referring to this snake are in the following list:

Ground Rattlesnake, Gulf coast Massasauga, Prairie Rattlesnake,  and Triple-spotted Rattlesnake.

35 cm to 91 cm. (average 45cm - 70cm)

They live in grasslands, on the edges of open woodland, and rocky hillsides. 

They often shelter in animal burrows.

They eat mainly rodents, and may also eat some lizards and frogs.

This snake gives birth to live young (ovoviviparous)

Can be found in the Untied States in south eastern Nebraska, north western Missouri, east and central Kansas, west and central Oklahoma, northern and central Texas.

Massasauga venom is one of the most potent of all rattlesnake venoms. However it is has limited capability to deliver a large amount of venom in a single bite. They are not considered to be deadly, but the venom can cause swelling, necrosis, and severe pain.