James's Problem

"My wolf friend told me Harris threatened you," stated Raveena as she handed James a cup of tea and sat down on the couch opposite of the young man.

"He did," replied James. "I come from that camp that they take all the children to after they appear broken. Some of us aren't even close to be broken and they don't realize that."

"What happens there?" inquired Raveena.

"We're forced to work all day and sometimes we work through the entire night too. If we stop halfway through we get whipped or sometimes we are forced to eat live bugs."

"You need not worry," replied Raveena. "We have friends here to work against Harris's plans for the future. There are some animals too that have just as bad experience as you kids."

"Oh yes, I have seen that," replied James. "They use the fur and feathers for potions in the magical laboratory. They use seeds and leaves in potions too."

"That means they have to kill the animals in order to use them," said Raveena.

"I am afraid so," responded James. "When disobeyed once I was brought in to see what they do. It was awful."

"What happened?" asked Raveena. "You can trust me. I am here to help."

"When someone disobeys they whip someone else or throw them into a separate room and don't feed them for a month. The person usually ends up dying."

"That is cruel," stated Raveena. "Let's not talk about this anymore. I want to let you ease your mind."

"I can't I don't have anything to think about. Nor do I remember anything that helped ease my mind," replied James.

"I think I have something that might help with that," replied Raveena. "Follow me." She led him into a giant library.

"Do you think you could do me a favor by cleaning all these tables and dusting off each of the books?" She inquired.

"I think I could," said James.

"Feel free to open the window if necessary. Fresh air helps ease the mind," responded Raveena.

"Thank you," said James.

"Oh I am not done yet," replied Raveena. "Come let me show you to your room."

She led him upstairs pressed a button hidden in the wooden wall and the bookcase slid to their right.

"What's this for?" inquired James.

"It is a bell to ring if I am ever out and you need something simply pull the rope and the servants will bring you whatever you need. Over to your left is your study, and there are books of history, science and fantasy in the shelves that you are welcome to read. To your right is your storage with food items in case you don't feel like joining me for dinner, herbal remedies with instructions attached and a first aid kit. I hope you never have to use the last two but just remember they are there for whenever you may need them. Now follow me."

She led him up to the first landing where there were all sorts of things one could use to paint anything they wished to. White paper, colored paper, sketchbooks, crayons, color pencils, markers, coloring books even an easel stood up in front of the window facing the backyard where even now animals could be seen crawling or hopping about the yard.
"There's a bathroom to the left of this painting room," informed Raveena with a bathtub for any guests."
They went up ten more steps and Raveena opened the door in a luxury bathroom with had a wide counter with big sinks and a huge mirror on the wall above them. There were cushioned chairs in the right hand corner around a little table and further to the right of the chairs a door stood that led to where the toilet was. The shower had curtains that weren't see through and it had a wide square stone floor. On the right side of the shower there was another door that led to a massive bedroom. On the right stood a beautiful canopy bed. Opposite the bed was a window seat staring out over the wilderness. To the right of the window seat were a lot of toys, maze books, riddle books and Bible verses were etched into the wood of the chairs and tables. To the left of the window seat was a crafting area for making garlands or growing a garden out of moss. Most importantly the walls of this house were sound proof, and it was guarded by the animals who would alert Raveena if something was wrong.
"I don't know what to say," stammered James.
"You don't need to say anything," responded Raveena. "I will send dinner to you by one of my maids. However, tomorrow, you must let me know half an hour early if you want to come down and join me for meals.
Breakfasts are served at 7:00 a.m. Lunch is served at 12:00 p.m. Dinner is served at 6:00 p.m. Make yourself at home and oh everything you need to clean the library is in its closet directly opposite of these stairs," said Raveena. "I don't care when you start." She closed the door after she left. She made her way back downstairs and the bookcase slid over its entrance. She finished putting together her stew and then there was a knock on the front door. Raveena went to answer it.
"Oh Alec come on in and hurry," whispered Raveena.
Her two guests came in. They pulled their hoods down.
"Raveena have you seen this boy?" inquired Alec
.
"I have he's safe here for the moment but you, Marisa, my dear are in serious danger. "
"What do you mean?" questioned Marisa in a low voice.
"Harris sent him to bring you back to the island."
"Fat chance anyone would ever break me now that I am all grown up."
"He doesn't want to do it, but Harris threatened him. If we help win this fight someone on the island will die."
"Come let's not talk about this right now I have some interesting things about the camp to fill you in on Alec."