Chapter 9

Summertime

Years ago, oh so many years ago, the beautiful kingdom of Arendelle was ruled by a wonderful king and queen. King Agnarr and Queen Iduna had two beautiful daughters, both destined to rule Arendelle once they were both grown. One born with impeccable powers, the other a deep love for chocolate.

Their oldest daughter, Elsa, although cursed with powers, up until the age of eight, she lived a happy life; being able to play with her little sister Anna and express her happiness with her ice powers.

An incident occurred, which nearly resulted in the death of Anna, and Princess Elsa was prisoned away to her room.

But until then, Elsa savored every moment she had with her sister.

When Elsa was seven, she had another friend besides Anna.

His name was Peter Pan.

And they had more in common than she had anticipated.

Both were welders of magic, and both sometimes had trouble controlling it.

"Come on Elsa, we're going to be late!" Anna whined as she ushered her sister to walk faster. Elsa giggled softly but picked up her pace even more.

"Okay, okay, I'm going!" She whispered loudly. The two sisters finally reached the ballroom, and both were excited when they saw the trio to their duo.

"Peter!" Anna exclaimed happily and let go of Elsa and ran to the eight year old boy. Anna giggled as she threw herself at the boy and he lost his balance and fell.

"Hullo Anna." He exclaimed and Elsa wasted no time to create snow for the three to play in. Elsa giggled as she made mounds of snow.

"Come on Elsa, come on, make Olaf!" Anna squealed and Elsa chuckled.

"Okay, just get me a carrot."

"I'll get it!" Peter exclaimed and ran towards the kitchens to retrieve the vegetable for their misshapen snowman.

When he returned, Elsa was already making Anna giggle by the strange voice she was making, as if Olaf himself was speaking.

"Hi I'm Olaf, and I like warm hugs!" Elsa said in a lower voice and both Peter and Anna laughed.

The kids continued to play, both Elsa and Peter showing off their powers.

And they couldn't be happier.

~

"Elsa please hurry!" Anna whined once again as she yanked on her sisters arm. The young platinum blonde girl raced to keep up with her sisters fast pace.

The two princesses were going to ice skate, for the lake in the castle gardens were finally frozen enough to support their weight.

They held their skates tightly, and brought an extra pair for Peter as well.

They couldn't wait to spend the day under the slightly warm sun with the cold snow still surrounding them.

It was a perfect day.

But it couldn't always be that way.

~

Evelina played with her powers as she sat in the dingy, abandoned cabin. She waved her hands around, making little blue sparks appear as she made unique snowflakes dance between her fingertips.

Her eyes glowed as she controlled the snow and ice.

Her mind was beginning to go insane. All she had to entertain herself was her powers. She spent all her time playing with her powers, sleeping her days away, eating her feelings to the core, and simply staring at the wall.

"Summertime, and the livin' is easy. Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high.
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'. So hush, little baby, don't you cry."

Evelina softly sung. Her head was stuck with the beautiful melody that Snow had sung to her when she was a child. It brought many memories back to the young princess.

It was a dark night in Storybrooke. It was 3 in the morning, and little 8 year old Evelina cried in her room. She wailed even louder and only quieted down when she heard loud footsteps approaching the room. A tired looking Mary Margaret Blanchard raced upstairs and instantly wrapped her arms around the child she took care of.

"My darling, Evie, what's the matter?"

"Mary, I had a nightmare." The Frost child whimpered and Mary Margaret coaxed the child to calm her tears.

"Would you like to hear a song?" Mary Margaret asked and Evelina nodded. The young women picked Evelina off the bed and walked her downstairs, so the child could sleep wit her tonight.

"Summertime, and the livin' is easy. Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high. Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'. So hush, little baby, don't you cry." Mary Margaret sang in Evelina's ear as she tried her best to soothe the child back to a calm state.

Mary Margaret looked down to Evelina and decided she needed something more than just a lullaby.

"Princess Evelina, would you like some hot cocoa?" Mary Margaret whispered to the child in her arms.

Evelina Frost nodded against Mary Margaret's shoulder and sniffed.

"Yes please."

Evelina remembered the nightmare she had that night. She never truly understood the meaning behind the dream until the curse had been broken.

Her nightmares were always the same reoccurring event. It always consisted of a women who looked just like Evelina abandoning a baby Evelina. How the events happened differed every time, but her dream always ended the same way; with Evelina being left to rot on her own.

It was clear what the dream meant but Evelina never said it out loud to anyone. It represented the issues the princess had with the abandonment revolving Elsa's neglect towards her only daughter.

When the first curse had been broken, Evelina's dreams had diminished away. But they soon returned when she left Storybrooke. They always returned when she left Storybrooke.

Now in the cabin, her nightmares were as vivid as ever. She was too afraid to fall asleep now, in fear she would be sucked into her nightmares and never wake up, being stuck in limbo forever. Evelina feared her mind at night. And when she did fall asleep, she always woke up shaking and in tears.

And as she tried to calm her out of control beating heart, all Evelina had to soothe her was the sweet lullaby Snow always sang to her.

*unedited*

The song is Summertime from The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess opera.

I love the recording Broadway version but Ella Fitzgerald's version is beautiful as well.

It's one of my dreams to see the opera of Porgy and Bess. Hope I get to one day see it 😊.

The song is in the media, enjoy!