Chapter 13 Greens

Oh, so sexy yall… I don't know where you're going or when you're coming home. I left the keys under the mat to our front door. For one more chance to hold you close. I don't know where you're going. Just get your ass back home.

Butch kissed Buttercup in her sleep before getting up. He gathered his stuff and left her his usual note, "I'll be back… love ya,". He looked at her one more time before leaving out the front door.

Buttercup would wake up the next morning and feel an empty bed. She fights back a sigh that so desperately wants to escape her lips. Reading the note, a smile spreads out across her face. Buttercup never knows where Butch goes or when he is coming home. She doesn't think he knows either. So all she does is put the keys under the mat outside their door. The day will come when he walks through the door and she can hold him close to her again.

Sometimes she wishes she knew where he went but she knows she will never know. But to her, that doesn't matter as long as his sorry ass keeps coming back home. Home to her.

We both knew this type of life didn't come with instructions. So I'm trying to do my best to make something out of nothing. And sometimes it gets downright shitty. In fact when you call and I don't even know what city I'm at. Or what day of the week in the middle of the month in a year.

Butch sighs as he stares out the window of his car. He is living the life of a criminal. He has the hottest girl he could wish for, rarely gets caught, and his a reputation that just about everyone knows. Sometimes, Butch just wishes he had some guidance through life. He knew life never has instructions. It's a figure it out as you go kinda game.

Butch's mind travels back to Buttercup who is waiting at home and all the nothing they have. Sure, Butch could get out of the game, get his life on the straight track but that would still leave him and Buttercup with nothing. He is just desperately trying to change that. Turn all their nothing into something.

Sure, sometimes it is shitty. Always someone out to get him. A cop or someone who he has crossed over all these years. The jobs are never easy but nothing said they would be. Most of the time he is hurt more than he is alright. There is one thing to look forward to though, Buttercup's calls. He knows she'll want to know what city he is in but he can barely remember what day it is if he is lucky.

I don't recall. It's like my life's on repeat and the last time we spoke I told you I wouldn't be long. That was last November. Now December's almost gone. I'd apologize but I don't realize what I'm doing wrong. I don't know where you're going or when you're coming home. I left the keys under the mat to our front door. For one more chance to hold you close. I don't know where you're going. Just get your ass back home.

Butch can never remember much. The day, what time it is, where he is, or anything. It all seems to escape him. Every time Buttercup calls, she questions him all about it. Butch just recites the same answers. Yes he is okay. No he doesn't have a clue what city he is in. Yes it is an adventure though. No he doesn't know what day it is, can she remind him again. No he doesn't have the time, does she? Though she hasn't called in quite sometime.

Butch tries to remember the last time he spoke to her. He told her he'd be home soon and they could have some fun. When was that? Butch traces back on his fingers and realizes that was last November. It's the next December already. Shit, its been more than a year. His mind fills with questions. Why hasn't she called? Is she alright? Safe? Did she meet somebody?

He calls to apologize but he realizes he doesn't know what to apologize for? What has he really done wrong? Butch has always lived like this and she just jumped on, claiming she was fine with this kind of life. So did he really need to apologize? His heart skipped a beat when she answered.