Chapter 22

Gio is taken to the emergency as soon as they get in while Erika stays back shaking. Josh pulls her in his arms as he sees her. "He is going to be okay, don't worry" he soothes as he leads her to a bench while the doctors see to Gio.

"We need to see your wounds too" he suggests as he checks her head where the guy had hit her so her face is a bit swollen. He calls a nurse asking for the rape kit on her. Erika moves in daze as all the procedure is done.

Josh asks Mitch to look after her as he makes some errands, Mitch smiles at her as he wait on her in front of the room. Erika stares on the wall in front of her as the images of those guys with a motionless Gio with knife runs through her mind, how has life turned so drastically.

She was so happy a few months back but now she can't go ask help to anyone as she isn't a kid anymore she has to take responsibility as Enzo said and now the twin hates her. Her mother left her, she has a kid whom she can't leave as she knows so well how it feels when there is no one to turn around and how it feels when someone abandons you.

She rubs her face with her hand closing her eyes as she thinks what will she do? She can't feel safe in her own house, those bastards how could she let them touch her? How could she lay there at there mercy, why didn't she fight? She wasn't the one to take the blows but she did, she was raised better! Never in her life did she felt as helpless or scared as she felt at that moment.

God dammit! She was going to be raped by those pricks but she just lied there, why didn't she do something when they had taken Gio? Why couldn't she fight back? She shouts at herself. The turmoil that goes inside her eats her up as guilt remains that she couldn't save Gio from those cruel monsters.

Josh enters the room pulling the stool near as he takes a seat, "Do you know who did it?" he asks her but she shakes her head no "I couldn't see their faces they had masks on, they were already in the house with Gio when I came back. I shouldn't have left him alone" she whispers the last part.

"Hey kid, it wasn't your fault okay, he will be fine don't blame yourself" Josh tries to assure her. "The doc says he will be kept in the observation for the night he will be shifted to the normal ward once they are sure he is good to go. So, stay tight there for few more hours and I'll find those bastards who did this" he promises as he pats her back before he leaves.

Erika stays the night waiting for Gio to be shifted in the normal ward, Josh comes by to check up on her before leaving. He once again asks her about those guys if there was anything specific about them but she can't remember.

After Josh leaves, she enters the room Gio is admitted. She takes a seat beside him as she holds his little hand kissing it. She caresses his head which is surrounded with bandages.

"Hey lil guy how you doing? Erika is so sorry for leaving you. She is a very, very bad girl. Everyone leaves her so please don't leave her. If you left I don't know how I'll survive so please Gio be alright. Erika really loves you" she cries holding his hand.

"Excuse me?" a nurse interrupts her. She wipes her face before facing the nurse. "Sorry, but are you the baby's guardian?" she asks so Erika nods. "Well then you need to sign these papers and bills" she says passing her the papers.

Erika nods taking it, she checks the bills sighing as she sees the amount. She checks her pocket and even if she gives all her pay the bill isn't covered.

"Can I pay the remaining when he is discharged?" she asks the nurse who nods leaving her in the room. She rubs her forehead before taking a seat near Gio.

Erika rushes to her home to get some clothes and things for Gio for a night, as she tries to leave her eyes falls on to the card Rose left. She looks at it for a while before picking it up as she makes her final decision.