⠠⠉⠓⠁⠏⠞⠑⠗⠀⠼⠑⠃

Double update because they are basically one chapter, but their was too many time skips in the last one and I didn't want more then two.

Love you all, have an amazing day/night/afternoon

Chapter 52

All I've ever seen are the arrests, the Miranda rights read out to them, then now the 'interrogations'. I could say it's what I imagined it to be—sitting alone in a dimly lit cell.

I could say it's horrible or I could say it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

I could say I'm terrified or I'm bored or even that I'm anxious.

I could say it's like none of these things or it's like all of these things.

But the truth is:
It's not horrible—but it's not lovely.
I'm not terrified, bored or anxious—but I'm not happy.
It's nothing like I've ever thought—it's demeaning.

It's belittling. It's rage inducing. The way I'm spoken to, the way I'm treated—it's like I'm not even human anymore. It's getting to me, I didn't realize how much I dreaded silence.

I would sit alone on rooftops for days, weeks sometimes, waiting for my mark to show their face, but I would always have something to do; read or cards or something.

Here I am sitting in an enclosed prison cell by myself, waiting for the next twenty-four hours to be over, in complete silence.

The cell is the bare minimum, a toilet, sink, and a 'bed'. Or just a shelf that you can lay on if you please... they don't give you actual bedding until you've been here for at least twelve hours. I've been here for three. Three out of twenty-four.

I refuse to touch anything, because I do not want to catch anything these people have. So I find myself standing in the middle of the room, staring at the small window in the back.

Maybe they put the convicted into these cells for a day so they loose their minds before being put in front of the judge. It makes sense—makes them more money.

I say complete silence, but that's a lie, it's anything but silent. It's loud actually, women having loud conversations between walls, cat-calling the guards, at one point a couple just started to scream for no goddamn reason. The clanking of dishes, running water, flushing toilets... it's giving me a fucking headache.

So I stare outside, at the sky that I can see, waiting. Watching the clouds pass by.

Did I mention it's freezing? I'm cold, I'm normally the coldest person in a room, but they just have the air conditioning constantly running for no goddamn reason. I'm stuck wearing a tank-top and leather jacket, which still smells like weed, and shivering in the middle of a small room.

Minutes feel like hours, hours feel like days, and nothing is changing. Nothing.

"Are you okay?"

I tense up at the voice which is clearly directed at me, "What time is it?"

"I–uh..." The young officers voice stutters, and I turn around to meet his curious gaze, "It–It's five."

My expression doesn't change, but his surely does. He seems to get the vibe that the only thing actually keeping me here is me, hence his eyes widening slightly and the beads of sweat lining his forehead, and that he might not be on my good side saying he forced me onto my knees and tried to arrest me last time we saw each other.