⠠⠉⠓⠁⠏⠞⠑⠗⠀⠼⠉⠑

Chapter 35

I stand in front of a pile of rubble that was once an oriental food-place and a few spare apartments.

Luke Cage. Harlem's Robin Hoodie.

I push a piece of concrete lightly with my combat boot, knocking it over easily. The bullet proof man was shot with a rocket and managed to get out unscathed– also saved his landlord who is in 'too much shock' to remember what happened.

Bottom line: Someone wants Harlem's Hero dead, and I need to find him before that happens.

"Ember Richards?" He actually came.

I turn slightly and look up at the taller kid, "Madera. I'm going by Madera now."

His eyebrows furrow from the shadow of his hooded head, "That's more conspicuous the Richards."

I shrug and dig my hands deeper into the pockets of my jacket, avoiding the chill of New York's outgoing winter, "It's not conspicuous at all. It's my real name."

His eyes widen slightly, but I turn back to the ruble to avoid any other shocked look, "Why would you tell me-"

"Listen kid," I begin, and I gesture to the pile of concrete destruction in front of us, "This is what happens when people like us try to do good... we just end up destroying everything around us."

"That's not true, that's why we have the Accords." He argues, and I'm only now realizing how much brainwashing Stark has done to this kid.

I turn towards him and pull my hands from my pockets, "The reason they have the Accords is so the United Nations doesn't have to deal with the bullshit that comes along with us. Do you realize how illegal The Sokovia Accords are?"

He shakes his head no, and I watch as his frozen breath hitches in the air as I speak.

"They go against the UN's own words," I turn back away from him, back towards the ruble, "In the Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 1 states that all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

"But we weren't all born this way, some of us were created to be like this. To have abilities." He tells me, and I sigh, picking up a piece of concrete.

"But people like myself and the InHumans, we were born this way. Not everyone was created. Some just had genetic mutations... nothing we could control." I say softly, gyrating the ruble in my hands.

"What about the rest of us then?" He asks curiously, "Do we just have to go along with it?"

I shake my head, "No. It's your choice, implying you are of legal age of course."

"Yes, I'm eighteen." He rolls his eyes, and I smile slightly.

"Peter, you don't have to do anything anyone tells you to– unless of course you are under arrest for illegal activity– you are covered under Article 2 which states that everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms in the declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status." I mentally congratulate myself for remembering the two articles. I mean, I know all thirty articles of the UDHR, just not all of them word for word.