⠠⠉⠓⠁⠏⠞⠑⠗⠀⠼⠃⠋

Chapter 26

"My list is getting longer on names of guys asses I need to kick." Sky complains, her words slurring ever so slightly.

"I'm sorry, it's not like I had a choice in the manner of meeting them." I say dryly, and finish off my third drink, while eyeing down the empty shot glasses from Skyler in front of me. She tends to over-drink...

Her phone starts to buzz and she picks it up and starts to curse, "My dada is calling. What do I do?"

I hesitate, staring at my shitfaced friend before offering my hand out, "I'll tell him you went to the bathroom."

She hands her phone over and smiles while saying, "Thank you."

I just nod curtly while picking it up, "Hi Mr. Attiah."

"Oh hello, Ember! Is Skyler there? It is rather late." He greets me in a rather bright tone, to be honest I was expecting an overall depressing and disappointed tone.

"She's in the bathroom at the moment and left her phone in the living room, but I can take a message for you." I offer, my voice picking up and sounding more happy because his does.

"Yes yes, that would be very kind of you. Tell her that David tried calling her, but she didn't pick up, so he called us to tell her that his fight home was a bit delayed so he will be home in the morning around five."

"I will tell her your message when she gets back." I say, and can't help but smile.

"That's lovely, Ember. How are you doing? I haven't talked to you since your graduation! Is everything going well at SHIELD? Stopping lots of bad guys?" He asks excitedly and I laugh a bit.

"Something like that, but I'm not sure if I want to continue my time at SHIELD. I feel like I have more potential other than punching guys in the face." I shrug, and the long pause over the receiver doesn't seem like a good sign.

"Ember... they have given you every opportunity that you could have imagined."

"I know sir, but-"

"They took you off the streets. They gave you a home."

"I-I just think-"

"I am not your father, Ember. Misty is not your mother. Skyler is not your sister. We are not your family. Your family is gone. SHIELD saved you. You owe your life to SHIELD."

I'm taken back by his sudden dark demeanor, and my eyes start to sting at his words.

"I-I know..." I whisper, my heart skipping beats and my breath becoming jagged, "I know..."

"Remember to tell Skyler, David will come home at Five. Tell her that I love her. And remember that you are still a street orphan, Ember, no amount of SHIELD training can help that."

Before I can say anything else he hangs up. I pull my shaking hand away from my ear and I stand up abruptly, "I'm going to take you home now."

Skyler takes her phone and looks at me in a confused and drunken way, "W-what? What's wrong?"

I shake my head and pull on my coat, "I have an early morning, remember?"