⠠⠉⠓⠁⠏⠞⠑⠗⠀⠼⠁⠓

Chapter 18

"What's his name?!"

"Skyler, aren't you on your honeymoon?" I question her while taking a swing at a punching bag.

"... yeah but... what's his name?" She continues to press me.

I make one mistake and use the pronoun 'he' and then this happens.

"Matthew." I answer simply, hiding my small smile from her on FaceTime.

"Cute. Matthew and Ember, I can see the wedding invitations now." She says making me scoff.

"Never in a million years would I marry him let alone date him." I throw a few more punches at the bag, the steams stretching and a bit of sand spills out.

"I bet he stares at you dreamily, you and your beautiful brown eyes." She sighs out, a large smile plastered across her face.

I shoot her an annoyed look, "He's blind."

"That's a bit rude." She comments while rolling her eyes.

I stop halfway through another swing and sigh, "Sky, no, he is legitimately blind." Her face falls slightly and her lips form an 'O' shape. "And I cannot marry him, let alone date him, because of my work."

I watch as her face falls all the way into a depressed frown. A look that does not flatter her usually happy demeanor.

"...but... if your work would let you... would you?" She asks quietly.

I've known Skyler even before... my mom died, she was someone who stuck with me even when I had to drop out of school, she was there when my dad overdosed, she was there when SHIELD found me, she was always there. Her parents hated me, said I was a terrible influence, being a druggies kid; she never listened to them.

She would come to the library after school and we would do her homework together, she would give me whatever pocket change she had, and in exchange, I would never lie to her. I would never cheat on anything. I would never say that I am my fathers kid. I promised that I would never let her down.

She knows how many people I have killed.
She knows what kind of pain I have endured.
She knows exactly what happens to me at SHIELD.
She is the only person on earth who can tell me that 'She knows', because she is the only person on earth that does know.

"No." I answer plainly and continue punching.

"No? Not at all? You wouldn't even go out for a drink with him?" I cringe slightly when she says that, memories from the other night flowing in.

I pause and look her in the eyes, "I did, then Wade showed up."

She lets out a low growl at his name, "That jackass better not lay a finger on you or I swear to god I will fuck him up."

I can't help but smile at her reaction, "Leave the 'fucking up' to me, because I seem to be good at it."

She wipes the scowl off of her face are replaces it with a confused look, "You aren't filling me in with enough details, if this guy makes you smile by just saying his name why the hell are you not going to date him? Besides your work."