⠠⠉⠓⠁⠏⠞⠑⠗⠀⠼⠃⠚

Chapter 20

"Where are we going?" I ask Matt curiously as he grabs his guide cane and is moving towards the door.

"Just follow me." He says rather calmly.

Ha, two words that I absolutely do not believe. 'Follow me' and 'Trust me', that might have to do with the fact that I don't trust a lot of people... but him, the words 'Follow me' could be anywhere. He is still a bit of a mystery- a BIT, not too much. Just more confusing then anything.

I tuck my hands into my jacket pockets and follow a couple paces behind him as we exist his office, we do, however, get stopped.

"Matt, Ember, what's happening?" Karen asks, rather concerned.

"It's not important-" I immediately interrupt Matt's lame excuse by saying, "My work is making my entire division sign a contract, and I just wanted someone to look over it... nothing too big, but it's pretty important."

Her eyes widen slightly at me mentioning that, "W-what do you do?"

My eyes quickly travel around the room, avoiding eye contact for a few moments before responding with a quick, "Cushy government job," I glance over at Matt, "I'm considering quitting."

"Why? That sounds great." Foggy says from the doorway.

I hear Matt let out a small sigh of annoyance, making me glare at him slightly before smiling over at Foggy.

"It is... but I guess what I have to do isn't as great as the pay raise." Which is true. They pay the marksmen a lot more then the mercenaries so we don't run off to become one, but it does fluctuate and the health care- oh god I sound like a semi responsible adult.

"Yeah, Matt and I actually-"

"Ember and I were actually just leaving." Matt cuts Foggy off to... all of our surprise.

He looks from myself to Matt, his smile fading, "Oh... where?"

"It's late anyway, I just figured I would walk her home, she said that she forgot her bus pass." He lies, rather easily.

"Yeah, figured that a blind guy would be my protector from all those dangerous criminals out there." I say sarcastically, getting a laugh from Karen and a wide grin from Foggy.

"No offense, but you honestly look like you can handle yourself, Ember." Karen points out and I look down at myself with a bitter grin only to revert my eyes back up to her quickly.

I laugh lightly, hiding my immediate panic, "I have had my favor of school yard bullies."

This, this makes Matt frown. It's easy to smile and play off a lie, but when you stand next to someone who knows the truth, your fake smile seems to fall a bit faster then normal.

"Well I don't want to keep you two here late, so go off and be careful." Foggy says in a jokingly fatherly voice.

Matt smiles while opening the door, "No promises."

~~~~~

"Damn," I said while reading the sign Fogwell's Gym, "Is this where your dad-"

"Yeah." He responded while pushing the door open revealing a completely dark and empty gym.

It has a certain kind of peace to it, but also a lot of tension. Why did he bring me here? To a place that must have so much effect on him, so much history to him.