Chapter 30

-Chapter 30-

I waved my fingers, smiling through the faintly tinted glass of the car window at the last glimpse of Louis' family before we pulled out of their close and on to the main road through Vegas. I saw them waving, before returning inside as we turned off the road, Abi closely beside them the whole time.

She'd been on edge since she'd returned home, always checking over her shoulder or jumping whenever somebody walked into a room or made a loud noise. It wasn't much of a surprise that she was so jumpy, she'd been trapped and kidnapped by shifter-haters.

I had no idea of what they'd done, but they'd not exactly baked her cakes and given her lovely gowns to wear. The very thought of all those things they could or have done made me shudder, or flip my stomach and make me want to throw up.

I rested my pounding head against the cool glass window of the little car, shutting my eyes lazily and listening to the sound of the wind rush past the car. I could feel the bumps and ditches in the road vibrate through my body as we drove, rushing faster and faster as my ears picked up the growing noise of the wind blowing against the car.

Louis placed his hand warmly on my thigh, trailing his fingers on my jeans as a kept my eyes closed. He squeezed my knee playfully, causing me to muffle a giggle in my jacket sleeve and bolt upright in my chair, my eyes still tightly closed.

'Don't.' I whispered, prying his fingers off my knee as the car joined on to the main highway, leading the way our final destination. 

I opened my eyes as a puff of breath crossed my face, trying to adjust as Louis face was examining me closely, a longing etched into their green surface. 

'Eyes on the road, dumb ass!' I shouted as a car horn blared from behind us, the car angling oddly on the road before Louis regained control of the vehicle.

'You could have killed us you idiot! Stop gawking at me and watch the road, and those other moving things called cars! Do you want to die? No! So control the car and keep your eyes locked on to the road, before you kill us both!' I half yelled, clenching my fists on the seat as the car moved uncomfortably over a bump, I was not a fan of bad drivers.

I shook my head as Louis laughed quietly to himself. 'What?' I demanded in frustration, following the fast moving road with my eyes, the surroundings blurring into odd shapes and colours.

Louis smirked at me, pushing his foot  further down on the accelerator, 'You just get very stressed in cars, don't you?' He laughed as I glared angrily at him, grinding my teeth together.

'It's not my fault that I'd rather get to Dallas alive.' I muttered, turning back to face the steamy window, resting my head on the seat. 

My eyes grew tired chasing after the cars flying down the highway, and the purr of the engine and rush of the wind was like a lullaby, taming my eyes shut and pushing me into a soft slumber.

***

My sleep filled eyes fluttered open to darkness, a soft rumbling filling the small space I was in. I sat up in my seat, moving my head from side to side to get rid of the cramp that had built up in my neck.

I realised that I was still in the car as it sped down the highway. 'Finally, you're awake.' Louis said next to me, making me jump, how did I forget that Louis was driving the moving vehicle I was in?

'Mmhmm.' I mumbled quietly, shuffling my numb butt in the felt fabric of the seat. I turned to Louis, watching his wide eyes on the road, the reflection of the dull street lamps and flashing headlights dancing wildly in them.

I cleared my throat before speaking. 'Where are we exactly?' I asked, wiggling my toes in the sneakers that covered my feet. The heating of the car must have been on, because my body was toasty and comfortable, despite the lack of feeling in most of it.