Chapter 37

Chapter 37

I stood frozen by my window as I watched the hunters wait beneath their thick clouds of fuming smoke, paralyzed with fear. They'd said six months, not two days. This couldn't be happening, it was just another bad dream. But my eyes told me otherwise, this was very real.

A loud crash outside my room had me darting fearfully under the bed, watching with baited breath as the shiny handle to my door turned, only to reveal a tall male figure, along with three other people. I tensed, only making out their silhouettes from the light coming from the hall.

"Willa, it's okay. It's just Evan." The tall figure said, and I relaxed slightly, rolling from under my bed. When the light hit his face, I saw the worry frowns across them, as well as the icy frost in his eyes.

"And awesome old me." Taylor smirked, despite the obvious anxiety that seemed to have enveloped everyone, just looking at his stance emitted a sort of tense anticipation, almost as if he wanted to get down to the battle field.

Noah had his back to me, scanning the empty hall outside my room, but he too looked equally concerned as I felt. Even Nina looked shell shocked, proving that no one had had any idea that any of this would happen so soon, or like this.

I put a hand over my heart as another stab of adrenaline hit me, which meant that Louis was down there, fighting against the hunters. "Why are you here?" I asked, my voice shaking as an overwhelming sense of fear hit me. Not because I was scared for my own life, but I was scared I wouldn't see Louis again, that we wouldn't be able to make up and have a family. I was scared for the future.

Evan turned back to me, his brow furrowed. "We need to fight, together. But your no where near ready to take on what they've got downstairs."

I shuddered at the thought of their guns and weaponry, killing our kind. "I'm ready." I whispered, although my wolf was more just ready to defend her mate than anything else. I, however, was too weak in my powers to put them to much use.

Nina stepped forward from her position by the wall, placing a hand on Evan's shoulder, her eyes softening. "She can do it, Evan. Her mates down there, and you know that when your powers are for your mate, you can be unstoppable. We have to go now, or else we may all end off worse than now."

Evan nodded, before pulling something from a bag he had on his back. "This is some gear, a dagger, and a gun, just in case." He handed me the black handgun, and the small dagger. "And you may want to put something...more appropriate on." 

I looked down at my jeans and shirt, and hurried to the wardrobe, frowning when Nina came forward and pulled a black jumpsuit from the corner, forcing it into my hands, as I realised they were all wearing one.

"It's bullet proof, and you can shift in it and shift back and not have to worry about tearing it or shifting back with nothing on." She informed me, and I frowned at how strange it was that they had all been told about this. Maybe they were more prepared than I gave them credit for.

I slipped into the elastic suit, shoving on a pair of black boots that were forced at me. My dagger fit into the boots nicely, and my gun in a holster at my waist. I rested my hand over it just in case.

I came back to find Evan murmuring down a phone, his face masked in a hard stare. We left the room quickly, walking down the hall at a tense pace, preparing to round a corner and face the enemy. My heart beat was erratic, and with the jabs of emotion that were streaming through the bond, my palms were sweating and my breathing heavy.

We reached the stairs without being stopped, and Noah paused, listening at the top of the stairs. My wolf was on full alert, and when the all clear was given, we were running down the stairs, getting to the ground floor quickly as the sounds of war waged through the doors.