Chapter 16

~Amber's POV~

"Amber? What's going on? I came looking for Zac and the front door was wide open so I grabbed my gun from my truck. There was something not quite right, I could feel it."

Mark grabbed a blanket from the floor and drapes it over me. Then he switches on the light and takes out a pocket knife and cuts all the ropes and unites the cloth from my mouth.

"Thank you Mark, you just saved my life and my baby's life!" I'm crying again, only this time not from pain, but out of gratefulness.

I've known Mark for as long as I can remember, we grew up together. He was my guardian until sophomore year when he joined the football team and I got into other stuff. We still hang out and text but not like we used to. He was my first friend, even now I trust him with my life.

"Here, put this dress on and then I'll hug you to death" Mark sends me a sad smile. And turns around.

The dress is is to my knees, it's a deep purple. My stomach makes it stick out a little but I feel pretty.

"You'll always be that little girl that always wore her hair in two braids, never complained, never cried and was never afraid. You will always be my best friend Amber. When Zac isn't here, I will be."

"And you'll always be that little boy that pushed me in the pool every summer and locked us in dark closets." I laughed.

"Come here." Mark says, hold his arms out to me. "I'm so sorry I left you alone two years ago. I abandoned my best friend. I'm so sorry Amber."

I embraced him tightly. "It's alright, I forgive you."

A large moan came from the floor.

My heart instantly picked up speed.

"Who is that?" I ask Mark in a shaky voice.

"Let's find out." He said, kneeling down and taking the hood of the man.

There lying on the floor with a bloody arm....

Is my abusive ex boyfriend Caleb.....

I faint.