The Baby Project

Hey guys I'm Shanny! This is my first published story, I hope y'all like it. I'll try and update every week but I can be pretty busy! Thanks for reading and please don't forget to vote and comment. Enjoy!

~Amber's POV~

"Beep beep beep beep!" Shouted my alarm clock. I groaned and blindly tried to find the snooze button with my hand.

"Where is the damn snooze button?!" I growl into my pillow. Finally, I hear a click and the beeping stops.

I don't want to go to school. Last week we got an email from school saying we were starting a new project..... The Baby Project. Most schools do it. It's where you're paired with a person of the opposite gender and you both have to take care of a robotic baby that does everything a normal baby does.

I toss my covers off of me and sit up. I set my feet on the floor and rub my eyes then go into my bathroom and turn on the shower. Soon my bathroom is filled with steam and I jump in to the hot water. My shower lasts 30 minutes, like usual.

When I'm done, I wrap a fresh fluffy towel around my body and step out of the shower. I walk out of the bathroom and over to my closet and start looking for something to wear. I settled for a pair of short jean shorts and a purple tank top with black flip flops. I let my light brown hair fall naturally down my back in brown glossy waves. I add a little mascara, blush and lipgloss to brighter my facial features before grabbing my one shoulder purse like backpack off the hook by the door and walk downstairs. My mom is in the kitchen making me breakfast like usual. My dad lives in California, he and my mom split 4 years ago when I was 13. I don't talk to my dad anymore, not since he remarried.

"Hey mom." I say walking into the kitchen. She's making pancakes, my favorite.

"Good morning sweetheart!" My mom says happily. "Are you excited for today?"

"Eh, I guess." I reply. I look at the pancakes. "Blueberry?"

"Yes, do you need a ride to school?" My mom asks.

"Mom I have my own car remember? But thanks anyway." I smiled and kiss her cheek.

Ever since my parents got a divorce my mom and I have become really close. Before we leave every morning we're always sure to say I love you. Saturday nights are our mother daughter movie nights.

My mom finishes the small stack of pancakes and sets the plate on the table then sits down. I sit across from her and we both take some breakfast.

"Mom, I'm coming home with a baby today for school." I say after taking a bite of my pancakes, chewing and swallowing.

"That's nice dear, take good care of it." Was all she said to me.

When I finished I took my plate over to the sink and washed it. I picked up my backpack and kissed my moms cheek before walking out the front door.

"I love you mom!" I shouted before closing the door. I heard a muffled 'I love you too Amber' in reply.

I smiled and decided to walk to school instead of driving. It takes me 10 minutes to reach Westwood Highschool. My highschool. My hell.

I push the doors open and walk straight to my locker. I set my backpack in and take my books out. Suddenly someone grabs my waist, making me shriek.

"Did I scare you sweetheart?" Said a voice I knew all to well.

"No Zacary, you didn't, you just surprised me." I said glaring at him.

"Lighten up babe." Zacary said laughing.

"I'm not your babe Zac." I say.

"Every girl in this school is in love with me, EXCEPT you Amber. Girls would kill to be you!" He says.

"Whatever." Is all I say.

"See you in first period." He says before turning around walking to class.

I gather my stuff before taking the same route Zac did to get to my first period. He's in my health class, which sucks. I enter Mrs. Stone's class room just as the bell rings. I look for a seat, there's two in the back row. I sit in one of them. Zac's not here, not surprising.

"Good morning class. Today we are starting The Baby Project! When I call your name and your partners name please come up and get your baby." Says Mrs. Stone.

She starts assigning partners.

"John and Claire, Lilly and Carlos, Michael and Amy, Kevin and Paris." Mrs. Stone lists off the partners and she hands them their robotic baby. She names 10 more pairs before she says my name.

"Amber and Zacary." Mrs. Stone finishes.

My eyes widen. That can't be! There has to be some mistake!

"Mrs. Stone, there has to be a mistake! I can't be partners with Zacary! He'll ruin everything!" I say, getting up from my seat and fighting to keep my voice down.

Just then the classroom door opens and there stands a panting Zacary Highwood. Almost immediately all the girls in my class pull their shirts down or unbutton their shirt another button to show more. Zacary didn't seem to notice but most of the other guys in the class did.

"Welcome Mr. Highwood." Mrs. Stone says, oblivious to the slutty behavior taking place before her. "Before you and Amber take your seats I would like you to follow me."

We exit the class and she takes us to the principals office. There we find a large playpen with 10 children in it. Real children.

Mrs. Carlson the principal walks through the door and over to us.

"Good morning Zacary and Amber. Let's cut to the Chase shall we?" Mrs. Carlson smiles. "You will each pick a child. A girl and a boy, two girls or two boys. You will both have work together to take care of your two children. You will have the children for six months. And one more thing, you must live together, I don't care where, just live in the same house."

My jaw drops. Zacary has the same expression I do.

"Fine." I say.