Chapter 26

After the meeting with Miss Allione and Dr Gaines I was dismissed to my room where I knew I had a lot to think about. Not only had the contents of my file been a rude awakening but the knowledge that the much older man I was crushing on would be my new doctor had my insides doing all sorts of tricks.

At dinner that evening all I could do was think about him, only four tables over from the one I shared with Lennie, Sam and a few other girls I never really had a conversation with. When I went to the self-serve bar he had happened to be right behind me in line.

"Is the jerk chicken pasta any good?" I hadn't realized his presence, strangely, until he spoke.

I spun quickly at the sound of his voice to look at him. He wore a faint smile, his eyes looking especially green.

I found myself unable to formulate a sentence in his presence so, as always, I settled for a nod.

He looked at me for a moment before turning to put some on his plate. I did the same and returned to my table.

We were scheduled to have our first meeting tomorrow morning and though I had already met him and he knew everything about me (my file was obviously quite detailed) I still felt nervous. That night I tossed and turned until the sun lit the sky.

I dressed in black leggings and a baby pink tank top with no bra underneath - and not because I was trying to seduce my doctor (or maybe I was) but because it wasn't really something I practiced if I could avoid it- with a dark brown cardigan over it.

As I had never been to any other wing than this one. I had absolutely no idea where Dr Gaines' office was and so Alex came to escort me.

"How do you feel about all this?" He asked as we walked.

"I'm pretty much indifferent toward everything," I spoke this while mentally slapping myself as I knew that in this particular situation I was a nervous wreck.

Alex accepted my response, as he usually did, and continued to lead me toward Wing A.

This Wing was clearly more prestigious in not only the layout and decor but also the people. As I walked down the long hall I could see right into rooms with open doors; they were filled with more mature looking folk.

At the end of the hall there was a white door similar to Ms Allione's but instead this one marked "Dr R. Gaines." I silently wondered what the R stood for.

"Well this is where I leave you, I hope you find his methods helpful," Alex offered me a smile and knocked on the door on my behalf before turning to walk away.

Before Alex was even five seconds away I heard, "Come!" echo from the other side of the door. I took a deep breath and opened it slowly.

When it was fully open I stood there awkwardly taking in the room. The space was much bigger than that of Ms Allione's and a lot more light came in as well due to the blinds on the windows being drawn open. His desk was located to the right and faced the door so he had a direct view of anyone coming in. Behind him was an entire couch set with a coffee table perched in the center. There was also a massive bookshelf stocked from top to bottom with literature. On my left was a typical examining bed with a light blue curtain suspended from a rod attached to the ceiling ready to be drawn for privacy. Before I had time to be weird and individually observe all the surrounding medical tools, Dr Gaines (who had initially been looking down at his laptop) looked up at me and smiled.

He spoke as he motioned, "Come in, Nicole."

I stepped into the room and was suddenly engulfed in warmth. I breathed in and closed the door behind me. I forced myself to walk up to his desk where, upon my arrival, he told me to take a seat.