Chapter 10

Abriana's P.OV

The ride to the hospital had been dismal to say the least. My head was spinning, a million questions flooding my mind with no answers.

How did I miss the signs?

This stood out to me the most. As I sat in the waiting room with my mother- who had drove closely behind the ambulance and was trying her best to console me as I sobbed about my best friend getting her stomach pumped four doors down- my heart broke into a million pieces. Cliche as it may sound, I blamed myself for this. Maybe if I--

My train of thought was cut off as I heard,"What happened?!" in a formidable voice. It was Mr Sinclair, barging into the waiting area.

I looked up at him and immediately anger swelled within me,"I'm honestly surprised you're here." I had never liked him and he knew it.

Nicole and I had grown very close when her mother died and I've witnessed how cold he can be to her and just about every other person who breathes. I know losing his wife and mother of his child must have been hard but it was no excuse for the emotional (and occasional physical) abuse he met out to Nicole...his daughter.

"I really do wish I had time to deal with your attitude Abriana but I need to know what happened," he said as calmly as he could stomach. Known for letting his temper get the best of him.

I rolled my eyes and went back to sobbing. My mother rose and went to talk to him. As she spoke the four most unnerving words stood out "Tried. To. Kill. Herself"

My Nicole. Stuck between life and death. Both awake and asleep. Both warm and cold.

"That's ridiculous! What reason would she have to do something so stupid?!" was his response. How paternal. I mentally scoffed and rolled my eyes figuring it would be better not to say anything else to him.

A short while after a doctor emerged from the operating room holding a clipboard,"Family of a Miss Nicole Sinclair?" I stood immediately. Readying myself for the news. This was always the line they used when something awful happened. When the patient didn't make it.
"Family of...."

"That would be me. These are just neighbors." Mr Sinclair waved his hand pass us as if we meant nothing to Nicole. As if I didn't just sit here for 5 hours waiting to hear if she was alive or not. I was about to protest but before I could the Doctor spoke.

"This way sir," the Doctor gave us an apologetic look and motioned for Richard to follow him.

They spoke for about 30 minutes, but what felt like forever, before he returned.

Before I got a chance to ask anything he spoke,"Don't worry about it. You guys can go home. That little attention seeking brat is gonna be okay."

I couldn't believe my ears and that's when something inside me snapped, "Are you fucking serious?!" I yelled.

My mother stood agape...looking at me.

"Susanna are you gonna let your daughter talk to me like that?" He didn't bother to look at me.

Before my mother could address me I continued my rant.

"I just found your daughter half dead because your sorry ass is a poor excuse for a father and that's all you have to say??" I stepped in front of my mother to get his eyes back on me.

"Abri, lower your voice. People are starting to stare," my mother placed a hand on my shoulder, sympathetic but firm.

I shrugged her off, "Well let them fucking stare!" I threw my hands up incredulously and stormed out.