Chapter 15

My father had kissed my cheek when it was time for him to leave. I scowled and moved away immediately.

He laughed nervously, "Nicole, I know you might be upset with me for taking you here but you'll love it. I promise."

I don't know if my father was trying to impress Meryl (which was absolutely strange for me to watch. I'd never seen him flirt since....) or fool himself but he wasn't fooling me. I looked after him coldly as he went through the doors.

Meryl broke the silence, "You got a great dad there, Nicole." She giggled, sounding like a giddy school girl.

I looked over at her and couldn't help but laugh,"Thanks." I muttered before going with Alex to get my bag. They had to sift through its contents to make sure I had nothing harmful.

When I went they had my comb, my eyebrow pencil, my jewelry, my cell phone (and it's charger), my book, my razor and my face wash and lotion on a table.

There was an elderly woman dressed in all white similar to the man from earlier.

Alex spoke to her,"Hey Beatrice, Bag for Nicole Sinclair."

While we waited for her to get it I inquired about my things. I understood why they took the comb and razor but not the others.

"Uh, why can't I have those stuff?" I asked Alex in a hushed tone.

He did a quick scan of what had been removed before responding to me.

"Well, the book will be returned to you once they tag it as yours because we have a library here and we don't want anyone being accused of over-keeping," he paused to take another look at my things. "I'm sure you can see why the razor and comb are being taken away what with the sharp edges and all. The jewelry is because we like to practice detachment but Miss Allione will explain that to you. Your facial thingy and lotion are going to be transferred to a clear bottle so you will get those back soon."

He didn't say anything about my phone which truly, was what I cared about most. I could talk to Abriana using it.

"What about my phone?" I asked him.

He smiled, "You teens and your devices. Well, again, it has to do with detachment but you get to use it on Saturdays to talk to friends or family more personally. There is a telephone in your wing but there isn't much privacy with that."

Just as he said the last couple of words Beatrice handed me my purple suitcase which Alex took from me.

Before we went upstairs we stopped to get my sheets. Alex pulled open an opaque sliding door to reveal a huge lining closet that was more of a store than a closet. He told me to have my pick and that I did.

I took lilac purple sheets and a white comforter...well all the comforters were white. I also took a bath towel and rag. When I got them we headed up to my wing where Alex left me.

I pulled my suitcase into my room and closed the door, plopped down on the bed and exhaled.

I didn't know the strategies employed here to help people heal. I didn't know if the other girls were gonna like me. I didn't know what to expect at all. That scared me a bit to be honest.

I tried to distract myself by spreading my bed and unpacking my stuff. I put my clothes into both my draw and closet, I packed my perfumes, hair products and other toiletries onto my dresser and put my purse into my nightstand along with my hair brush and inhaler.

I fell asleep after a while.
-------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys,

Please vote, comment and share. Also go follow my Instagram @jada_bing where I post my poetry, thanks. - Jada.