Chapter 24

I had put a little (or a lot) extra effort into my outfit that morning with the hope of seeing Dr Gaines before he left. I dressed in a white tank top, black cotton skater skirt and a dark purple cotton Kimono, my feet covered in flat black shoes. I let my hair stay down as I was always told I had nice locks. I got that from my mother.

When I went to breakfast that morning Lennie made sure that I knew that she knew there was a boy involved. I never dared tell her that this boy was actually a man. A man I barely knew yet felt oddly attracted to. A man who was a Doctor here. A man who was off-limits.

After we had group session, I all but rushed out of the room and went walking to all the places I thought Dr Gaines would make an appearance but I never saw him. I was coming upon the dance studio and I stopped and looked through the wide entry way for a moment. They were choreographing a recital for the Christmas concert that was apparently held here every year. Seeing them and hearing the music gave me a sudden refreshing feeling and I found myself going to sit outside the door and just observe. I sank to the floor, crossed my legs and watched. For the first time I wasn't the performer, I was simply the audience.

After about 15 minutes a shadow cast over me. At first I thought it was Alex coming to remind me to eat but when I turned around and looked up I was met with the tall brooding figure of Dr Gaines. A weird feeling developed in the pit of my stomach and I smiled up at him. A million questions running through my mind.

Was he looking for me?

If he was, how did he know I'd be here?

"I though that was your head," he reached a hand down to me to help me off the floor.

I hesitantly took it. Not because I didn't want to touch his hand but because I was nervous that I would have sweaty palms.

He pulled me up with ease and I almost came crashing into him.

"Hi," I said, still smiling like a fool.

"Nicole," he smiles back, "Walk with me?"

"Sure," I answer all too quickly.
*
*
*
We end up walking down the hall to the cafeteria. I pray that the hall extends to buy me more time with him.

"So, what were you doing just sitting there watching? Aren't you going to dance?" He asked, his hands tucked away in his pocket.

"Oh no, I could never," I reply, gesticulated bit.

He didn't push further in the matter but I knew he had initially assumed I was apart of the dance because of my physique. I had spent my entire life dancing so many could tell upon first glance from my perfect posture to my well toned calves that I was indeed a dancer.

"I promised I'd speak with you before I leave and I'm a man of my word so," he took his hands from his pockets and pointed to himself, "here I am."

"You should enjoy the two weeks you have away before you have to be here every single day. It can get awfully glum," I say this absentmindedly and play with a lock of my hair.

"I'd imagine so. What with the various sporting courts, endless library, dance studio, theatre, game rooms and more...all at your disposal," he used sarcasm to disagree with me. Yes, he was definitely big on jokes. Perhaps as a doctor, this was his thing. Miss Allione played the "caring mother". He was the jokester.

"Well, its glum if there are restrictions and you don't really like half that stuff anyway," I challenge playfully.

"You mean your age?" His hands had returned to his pockets and he looked down at me for a moment before returning his gaze straight ahead.