Chapter 35- silence

Molly's POV

The rest of the car journey goes by in silence. Harry's eyes don't seem to move off the road and Finn seems to be in his own little world. I wonder what was so bad about dan that makes Harry go into this state. I've never seen him like this before.

Finally, after fifteen minutes, Harry picks up the courage to speak to us.

"I never should've let you go" he chokes, running a hand through his curly locks. "I should've known"

He seems upset and is blaming himself for everything that definitely was not his fault, at least, I don't think it was. He speaks but his eyes never leave the road, not even to look at me as I reply.

"It wasn't your fault, Harry. You didn't know he was coming" I try to console him but he shakes his head, denying it.

"Yeah, but I should've seen it coming. I mean, what if you had gotten hurt? What would I have done? How would I tell your mum? You've already been through a lot because of me and I don't want your mum getting worried every time we're around each other" he tells me and I look down. Is this how much he cares about me? "I couldn't live if you had gotten another injury then..."

"Erm- Molly, I've been trying for ages and this football is still stuck on my head!" Finn nudges me quietly. After all the tension between us all, I had forgotten that Finn still had this black and white monstrosity on his head. I chuckle to myself and look at harry, whose eyes are, it seems, permanently stuck on the road. He doesn't even snigger when I have to poke in eye holes for Finn to see. I'll cut the rest when we get home.

...

"Can Finn come inside to get this off his head?" I ask Harry. He hasn't spoken to me since Finn asked me to get the football off his head and is still silent.

"No, we're going home right now" Harry scowls, clutching the steering wheel tightly and scrunching his eyes shut.

"Please?" I ask Harry, giving him my most innocent look and he sighs.

"Fine then. Five minutes" he growls, clenching his hands even tighter. I wonder what's wrong?

Finn rushes into the house and I begin to walk too, until I remember that Harry is still in the car. I begin to walk backwards to the car where Harry is sitting.

"Are you okay in there?" I ask Harry, climbing into the front seat next to him. For the first time in the whole car journey, he turns and looks at me. Now that I can see him properly, his green eyes are red and bloodshot, his face stained with tears. Was this dan thing really that bad that it made my Harry cry?

"I'm fine" he sniffles and rubs his face. It breaks my heart to see him so upset and even crying so I out my arm around him. Surprisingly he doesn't pull away, instead resting his head in my arm, he lets out a deep sigh.

"What's wrong?" I ask Harry and his eyes close slowly, probably not wanting to tell me or something.

"Dan and I" he starts and I nod. "We used to be friends." I frown. Who would want to be friends with that dan guy?? It beats me.

"Yeah" I urge him on and he gulps before adding.

"Well, let's just say him and his friends weren't the best people for a fourteen year old boy to hang around with but, of course, I had no parents and nobody told me it was wrong. In fact, I thought it was cool."

"What happened?" I ask him, wanting to know what happened but at the same time feeling nervous as to what made dan hate Harry so much.

"Well... He kind of fancied Emma." He tells me. And I nod

"It just brings back all the memories of her... And the threats he gave.. . Saying he'd never stop until my life was hell." Harry tells me and I look at him with a puzzled frown. He sighs. Now we get onto the bit where I find out why dan hates Harry so much. I am terrified already.

"Emma was just always closer to me... He couldn't handle it" he says briefly and I look down.

"You did the right thing, harry" I put my hand on his shoulder. "Dan seems like an arsehole anyway" I say and he laughs for the first time in the whole journey.

"You don't say?" He chuckles, looking at me. He stops for a second, sighing.

"Molly?" He whispers softly and I nod leaning in closer to him. Suddenly I hear a shout from behind.

"Mol! Weren't you meant to help me get this off my head, not sit there flirting with my brother!" Finn says, irritated, obviously, by the sound of things. I roll my eyes, getting out of the car. Finn stands, smugly, at my door and I get out, leaving the locked gaze of Harry's overly green eyes and slouching towards Finn, who's head is popping out of a half cut off football. I honestly can't help but giggle and, when I turn around, I can still feel Harry's sad eyes on my shoulder.