Chapter 50

Cameron

He walked away from me and I immediately felt cold. I was shaking of anxiety because I feared for what could potentially happen. Anything was possible when it came to Annabelle and her army of Shadows. She was unpredictable but when it came to Derek, her intentions were visible and that's what made me most nervous about because she could do anything to him. And me. 

Goosebumps rose along my arms and I rubbed them rapidly to try to give heat to my chilled body. I felt so unsure about this whole meeting but I tried to stay strong. How much longer until I have a mental breakdown in front of everybody? Violet knew that I wasn't "okay" with this. Hell, even Derek was aware of it from the start. It was obvious that the people around me knew that this could end on a really good note, or a really bad one. 

In the background, I could hear the clicking of many Shadows that have been watching us but I could only focus my attention on Derek and him only. I had no care in this world other than him at this moment and I could only stare into his eyes as he stood at the front of the group. His emotions funneled right into my body and we both felt the same. We both get uneasy. 

"Bring forth your leader." Caleb shouted at the treeline but the clicks only continued without an answer. I feared for an ambush so my stance grew rigid and I scanned our surroundings for anything more unusual but there was nothing. 

As my eyes moved through the group of guards, they were ready for a surprise attack as well. Violet stood closely beside Asher but her fists were clenched together and she was thirsty for them to show themselves. 

The leader's devilish laugh rang in my ear and my feet were glued to the grass beneath me. She was close and I could feel her stare burning a hole into my soul but I kept my eyes forward and only on Derek while he stared back at me. 

"Derek, darling, you look rather nervous. You need not to fear for I will make you happy." Her hushed voice hovered over all of us and I fumed of anger. She called Derek "darling" and I could not tolerate that but there was nothing in my power to stop her. Who am I to stop someone so powerful and merciless? 

The wind circled around us at amazing speeds until nobody could see the field that was once before us. I searched around and all the guards around me were still there but they were struggling to see whatever was in front of us as well since everything was clouded. 

I looked frantically for the source of the voice but she was nowhere in sight. I turned on my heels in continuously circles, glancing at the ground to the sky and everything in between but nothing came forth. 

"Derek." She hushed my mate's name and it echoed off the wall of the tornado in which she encased us in. I desperately wanted to run into his arms and feel reassured that nothing was going to happen to him, to us, but there was still doubt. Anabelle's taunting only teased with me more and I felt sick to the stomach. 

"Reveal yourself, Anabelle." Derek bravely announced into the powerful winds hoping that there would be answer rather than her toying with our fears. 

No, don't. Please no. I thought to myself after his act of bravery. I just wanted him close to my heart and to be back in our room where we cuddled on the bed together. I just wanted peace for all. No more struggling and fighting. I closed my eyes for a brief second to deafen the howling of the winds but the force was too strong. 

Don't fear, sweetheart. I am still here with you. Don't be afraid. His gentle, deep filled my mind and I opened my eyes to look directly into his mesmerizing stare. I am here with you. He repeated with a soft smile on his face. 

The ground under my feet rumbled slightly and raised just enough to be eye level and slammed back down with a powerful force that vibrated a wave towards the wall of wind. The wave clashed with the wind and depleted the barrier within the same second.