Chapter 33

Violet 

My eyes leaked of constant tears. The chaos around me made my head spin and I was growing exhausted from Zayden's nonstop attempt to free himself. Asher was frustrated and yelled for the syringe to knock Zayden unconscious. I was silently praying for someone to bring it as well. 

He grabbed it out of someone's hand and punctured the needle straight through our son's chest. He growled one last time with his eyes wide then collapsed against the pillow behind him. I blew a deep breath and glanced at Aidan to find him terrified. He was slowly backing away with his head shaking and his heart racing. 

"What am I doing? He looks up to me with admiration and I'm holding him down like some  creature. This isn't how it's supposed to be. I'm sorry." He looked deep into my soul with eyes that were beyond scared. I reached out to hug him, but he backed away while continuing to shake his head then dismissed himself out the infirmary. 

"Leave him, Violet. He needs to breath." Asher exclaimed behind me. I turned around with emotions ranging from anger and depression. 

"I do not want this family to crumble further than it already has. He's still young, Asher. He's a teenager but he still needs someone to talk to, and you're his older brother. He looks up to you." I jabbed a finger into his hard chest. His breathing was steady but I didn't hold back. I was frustrated and irritated on how nothing was getting fixed. 

I let out a deep breath then glanced over to Caleb's disheveled state. I walked away from Ash's presence then approached the other bedside. 

The doctor was stitching Jilly across the abdomen but the baby had been removed. Her daughter was detached and resting on a small crib beside her mother's bed. Jilly was unconscious but the baby was wide awake. Her big innocent eyes were staring at her stressed father. 

I walked up to him and rested a hand on his shoulder. He didn't even acknowledge me but rather kept his eyes on Jillian's face and studied her features. He was mesmerized with teary eyes. 

I refused to ask anything, so I looked past to Zayden's bed and saw Asher settling in a chair beside him while grasping onto his son's hand tightly. I continued observing and expected another move, but he sat still and just held his hand in silence. 

My heart was in pain and I could no longer face my son, so I walked out the room in search of Alexandria. After what she had witnessed of her brother, she could surely not forget about his beastly behavior. How could I even start to say that her brother is dangerous? When it's been Zayden this entire time protecting her and assuring her from anything that scares her. 

I wrung my hands together until my knuckles turned white. I held a strong feeling that the two were in her room, so I set off for that direction, but then I saw light streaming from Aidan's door- that was cracked open. 

I paused before proceeding any further into his room. Mother, Alexandria, and Aidan all sat on the floor leaning against the wall and stared back at me as I took one step inside. 

I shut the door behind me and joined them along the wall. Aidan scooted over so I could be closer to them, but everyone was quiet except for Alexia's excitement when she saw me. I bounced her on my lap and only smiled as she made noises every time I bounced her. 

"Mama, I'm so happy that Zayden is home. I can't wait to play with him tomorrow." She stated with a wide grin. I mirrored that same exact grin and peered into the chocolate brown eyes that she'd inherited from her father. 

"He will play with you and Aidan soon enough, baby." I said then faced Aidan, who just faced forward without any emotions, and mother who had a warm smile on her face. "After he is well again, then you three can do anything you dream of." I poked her belly button and she giggled, revealing the dimple on her right cheek. The same dimple that is located on Asher's right cheek. 

"You, pretty lady, are very special." I whispered even though the whole room could hear me say it loud and clear. "You look exactly like your father, have I ever told you how beautiful you look?" I exclaimed with a true smile. A smile that had been waiting too long to show. 

She blushed then wrapped her tiny arms around my neck with a sweet giggle. 

"I want to say hi to daddy." She said against my ear. I pulled back then nodded with a gentle smile. 

"Go ahead, baby. You know exactly where he is. Go say hi and make him smile, okay?" I kissed her on the forehead before she walked out the room with mother's hand wrapped around hers. 

Aidan remained silent but I could tell that he was struggling to find the right words to say without hurting me. My mood had been lifted and meeting him was unintentional, but I just felt to obligation to act like a mother-figure and have him vent out to me since he was clearing troubled. 

"You know, when father passed away, I just saw glimpses of large, majestic butterflies and it was confirmed when Asher told me that day under the canopy. I remember it so clearly too. It had been over ten years, yet I remember it so vividly, but at least I got the chance of seeing father one last time." He chuckled then shook his head and leaned his head upwards to the ceiling. His adams apple bobbed up and down as he fought back tears. 

"And since mother had passed away, I haven't seen a sign or anything of her visiting me. I just wonder sometimes whether Asher had something and maybe missed it but I'm scared to ask him because he's too busy with his family right now." He paused then glanced at me with tears threatening to spill. 

"Maybe mother doesn't care enough to say bye to us. Maybe she doesn't love us enough." His lips quivered and the first stream of tears came down. My expression fell but I could only wrap my arm around his head and bring it down to my shoulder. He was quiet for a while but I felt the tears soaking up my shirt. 

"I know for certain that she loved you and Asher very much. Nothing ever needs a sign, but you can just feel it within you. You can feel her hugs and warmth when nights get cold. You can hear her singing lullabies to you when you have trouble sleeping. You can see her smile when times are tough, because that's what mothers do. We love our children more than anything in this world. We care and are concerned for the future. Nothing can ever get in the way of the love between a mother and a child." I stopped and placed a kiss on top of his head. His age will never stop me from babying him. 

He sat up straight with a small smile. "Thank you, Violet." He wiped at his tears then let out a nervous laugh. "I guess I needed to let out some pent up emotions, but thank you for being here for me when nobody else was." His gratitude sounded sincere and I nodded with an assuring smile. 

"Just remember that you still have your family. Asher hasn't left you. I think he's just been distracted with Zayden recently and he's trying very hard to stay strong, but deep down, I know he's breaking. I think that if you two spend time together, like train together, then maybe we will make it through this obstacle more easily." He nodded to my suggestion. 

"He will always look at you like another king. He needs you to keep him going and keep this kingdom strong." I continued. "He is very proud of the man that you've become." I added before he stood suddenly then extended a hand down to me. I grabbed it then stood with him. His height was almost as tall as Asher's and I still couldn't believe how fast he's grown. 

"I think I'll go back and see if I can help anyone with anything. Thank you." He bowed down then kissed my cheek with a small peck. I smiled warmly at him and watched him walk out the room. 

My arms were crossed and I sighed peacefully at how we were no longer at step one. This is just the beginning of Zayden's recovery. Jilly was also healing up now and the couple had their first newborn. I was finally content with my family.