Chapter 21

Asher

I laid awake all night and listened to her gentle heartbeat thump against my chest. Her bare skin as pressed against mine and I wrapped her in a tighter embrace. Her skin so soft, she was made of silk. I pictured of silk sheets and her just drowning amongst it. 

A soft knock broke me from my trace. My eyes lingered a bit longer on my wife and her delicate shoulders. I untangled myself from her warmth then walked softly to the double doors that were slammed shut just hours before. 

"Daddy?" A small voice sounded. I paused before reaching for the doorknob. One glance at my body and she would be confused why there were streaks and slashes of blood from the night before. 

"Coming, sweetheart." I exclaimed as I shuffled across the room in search of a shirt lying on the floor. Pulling one over my shoulder, I took note of how Violet turned deeper under the sheets with her eyes still shut. 

I opened the door while releasing a breath. She was less than half my height but her brown eyes were wide enough to make up for the amazement each time she landed her eyes on me. Her smile revealed a dimple very much like mine. I chuckled then picked her up. 

"How well did you sleep, princess?" I asked then closed the door behind me. I brought both of us into the bathroom then sat her down onto the granite counter. 

"Well, I guess." Her tone definitely fell from those eyes full of wonder. I froze on the spot then turned on my heels to face her. She was fumbling with something in her hands, but it was too small and well wrapped within her fingers for me to know what it was for certain. 

I blew out a deep breath. What must be going through that beautiful mind of hers? A million things came to my thoughts immediately, but one stood out in particular. Zayden. It was definitely her older brother that she longed to see again. Hell, everyone in this castle would do anything to just touch his soft cheek and whisper to him that everything was ok. 

I cleared my throat, gesturing for her to gaze up at me. She slowly did. The two big eyes that I fell in love with every time I saw them were glazed with tears and something grew in my throat. I had no words but to wrap her in a hug and smile. I had to make her think that everything would be ok and that nothing was in harm. 

But everything I just thought was for me to hear. 

I cleared my throat once more then scooted Alexandria closer to the sink so I could brush her teeth. She smiled at me with a wide grin before I placed the toothbrush onto her teeth.

"You are a beautiful girl. Absolutely beautiful." I whispered over and over as I brushed her teeth. She continued to grin even after I rinsed her mouth then let her down from the counter. 

And you're absolutely beautiful. Violet's soothing voice filled my thoughts. Everything that I had been thinking of previously had been pushed out the window. I glanced into the mirror in front of me and saw the reflection of my wife standing with her arms crossed and a silk robe wrapped around her lovely body. 

"Good morning, mommy." Alexandria exclaimed with a face so bright it could light the darkness.

"How are you, sweetheart?" She asked our daughter while picking her up into her arms. Alexandria squealed and pointed to me with the largest smile ever. 

"Daddy told me that I'm beautiful, mommy!" 

"Well she takes after her mother." I whispered enough for Violet to hear. Her cheeks blushed much like a teenage girl and I chuckled at her cuteness. I was indeed lucky enough to find someone as amazing as her to be my wife. 

"Mommy." Alexia tugged on her mother's wavy brown hair. "Mommy, I also saw Zayden in my dreams." 

As soon as she announced her brother's name, chills rose and my back went rigid. By the time my eyes flicked to Violet, she was frowning as much as I was. When I took a step towards the two, she opened her mouth to say something else, but she was struggling to word whatever was on her mind. 

"He told me that everything was going to be ok and that he was well taken care of! That he's coming home soon!" She declared with such excitement that her bright smile was outshining the sun streaming through the windows.