Chapter 41

Asher 

After laying Violet down onto our mattress, I stood by the bedside and contemplated my next decision. I wasn't sure on what to do. Should I leave and help Caleb tend to the Shadow and deal with the situation? Or should I stay holed up in our room and let another potential attack happen? 

I made my decision and kissed my wife on the forehead while she laid asleep. Her breathing was steady but I could feel that her entire body was sore and that it ached a lot. I sighed and whispered to her that everything would be handled diligently and that this nightmare would be over soon. 

This nightmare that had haunted us and made us insane for weeks. This nightmare that had been controlled by the Shadows. We're playing their game right now. We don't know the rules and everyone is vulnerable, no matter how strong. 

I walked to the double doors that led out to the dimly lit hallway and looked back one last time. Her position remained the same from when I laid her down and I blew a small kiss with a smile. 

The curtains were pulled together and I wanted to draw them back to let natural light in, but I stuck my head to the ultimate goal and that is with Caleb and the Shadow. 

As I walked closer to where Caleb had her detained, I noticed Aidan and Alexandria sitting in front of Zayden's resting room. I stopped then strolled to them. I kneeled down in front of my daughter and gripped onto both her hands. I kissed the palms of them and looked up at her with a gentle smile. 

"How are you doing, my beautiful butterfly?" I whispered as I get absorbed into her glistening chocolate orbs. Her eyes sparkled even when they filled with tears. I released my grip on her hands then placed them both on her soft cheeks. "Everything is okay, baby girl. You don't have to worry about anything." I reassured her after her lips began to tremble after not saying anything. 

"But mommy is hurt." Her voice broke as she exclaimed that. I sighed and nodded my head because that was the truth. 

"Are you hurt anywhere, sweetie?" I asked and began checking her but she shook her head. 

"I just wanted to see Zayden but Uncle Aidan wanted to wait out here for you." She mumbled and I could feel Aidan fidget in his seat, but I didn't look at him. 

"I know, baby.  Uncle Aidan was just trying to protect you. Zayden is perfectly safe, but just watch out for yourself when you're with him, okay? I know how he feels around you so there shouldn't be much of a problem." I leaned forward to kiss her forehead. "Go visit your brother now." I help her off the chair and opened the door for her to run inside. 

I turned around after closing the door to face my brother. His full height almost matched mine and I pulled him in for a hug. 

"Thank you for watching over her while I was dealing with the Shadow." I pulled back and patted his back while he patted mine as well. 

"Don't worry about it. I saw Caleb down the hall and just wanted to keep Alexandria away from the trouble for a while since she was still pretty shaken up." He replied and nodded to where Caleb was. My mouth stretched in a straight line and I shook my head. "So how's Violet doing?" He asked with a face full of concern. I sighed then shrugged. 

We had started walking to a single door that laid down the hallway. "She's feeling slightly better but she's very tired and I worry all the time about her magic abilities now. She drains so quickly now and I know it's not supposed to be that way, but she gets more tired now after she had Zayden. I knew of that, but she just grew weaker after Alexandria." I ranted. Her health mattered before mine and I worry about it each day. 

Aidan rested a hand on my shoulder when we came to a stop in front of the closed door. 

"Don't worry too much about it. Violet has the support of this entire castle. If she falls, then these castle walls will be there with her. She has captivated this castle in a  trace with her smile and I can't tell you enough how lucky you are to be mates with her." My brother stated. I smiled warmly at his words. There are times when we joke but there are also times when a true brother stands by your side and provides the wisest and kindest sayings. 

"Thank you, Aidan." I whispered into his ear as I pulled him in for another hug. 

"I'm just here to spit the truth. She helped you and mother raise me into an amazing childhood. There are many times when I'm missing father, but then I think of her because without her, then I would struggle to grow into the man I am today. She helped mother and you." He whispered with tears glazing over his eyes. I smiled and nodded. 

"I know. She's been here for a huge part of your life and I'm glad she was here for it. I'm glad you turned out to be such a mature young man because without you, then I would be ruling this kingdom by myself. I need you along my side." I rested my forehead against his and closed my eyes. 

"Thank you." He whispered and hooked an arm around my shoulders. I was lucky to call him my brother. I was lucky to have him be a king with me. 

"Shall we, then?" I asked and gestured a hand towards the dark oak door. He nodded then stepped forward to knock on the door. 

It opened without a moment's hesitation. A guard stood to the side with his head bowed. I bowed my head in return and walked before Aidan. His footsteps echoed not too far behind when I made my way down the stone stairs. 

These stairs have not been walked on for so many years and Caleb finally found the use for them. I thought as I finally reached the bottom. We were below the surface but light lit up the way towards another dark door, only this time, it was a thick metal door. 

I knocked and it opened to my response. The two guards that stood at the doorway bowed their head to Aidan and I as we strolled in. I did not acknowledge them since my focus was glued to the monster before me. 

Snarls and growls vibrated off the metal walls when I continued staring at the Shadow that had been detained. Caleb stood behind her with his eyes on me. His pupils were dilated and they screamed of flames. His green eyes turned to a deep emerald and he was ready to show no mercy. 

There was no sign of putrid smell and no clicking sounding through these walls. How did Caleb know that the Shadows' powers couldn't work behind these metal walls? 

I looked up to him and opened my mouth to ask but he already knew that I was going to ask so he spoke up. 

"I just figured that because the Shadows were under the tunnels and that was where the natural material was, like mud and dirt, their powers worked and that's where it was strongest since they spent their days there." He paused then shrugged. "So I just figured something manmade and we had this room already." He stretched his arms out to his sides and looked at me with a smirk. 

I chuckled and walked to his side. "You're a smart man." I stated and nodded once towards the suspect. "Now what do we do? All we need to do is probably smack this Shadow out of the lady's body and make sure that she recovers fully." 

He nodded beside me. "I've been trying to get answers, but nothing is coming through. She's not replying to any of my questions." He answered in a defeated matter and continued looking at her with a side glance. I glanced at her as well. The Shadow's eyes pierced through my body. The fiery red irises were staring deeply into my soul and I tried to avoid it but my mind swirled of anger. This Shadow set out to hurt my wife and I intend to get answers. 

I glanced at Aidan from across the room since he seemed troubled. I waited for him to say something. He then looked at me from the ground with a hopeful smile. 

"How about Zayden? Would she communicate with him then?" My brother asked curiously.