Chapter 19

Caleb

I rounded the corner to see half of the guards running down the stairs without shirts and the other half standing on the far side of the room. The flow of testosterone from the stairway only made me curious as to what's gotten the men so scared and glued to the wall, but stood frozen on my tracks when clicking sounded. 

The same clicking that haunted everybody's nightmares and reality. Asher tensed beside me with his fists clenching and unclenching to the rhythm of the clicking. He charged forward but I held him back with an outstretched arm and a glare straight to his soul. He growled at me but stood back and straightened his black button up shirt with a clear of a throat. 

The Shadow swirled around the guards' entertainment room, peering into everyone's eyes with piercing red beads. Fear clearly weighed the atmosphere down. A wall of men stood ready for whatever the Shadow would throw at us, but the form just surfed around the room with no intent of interrupting our previous motives. 

But another look right into Asher's eyes sent the flaming red eyes to a dark crimson. A couple clicks escaped the Shadow before it streamed back up the stairs and away from sight within a blink of an eye. 

I did not stop Asher this time when he sprinted up the steps, two at a time, because I was chasing after the Shadow as well. An army of men, prepared or not, trailed not too far behind me. 

Along the corridor stretched numerous rooms, but none of them looked disturbed. All the windows also appeared to be shut, but one at the end of the hallway. The sun proceeded to flow through without bother and Asher slammed the window shut in frustration. 

The teasing of the Shadows could either be an act of hallucination or just manipulation that would eventually drive us all insane. 

At the same moment, Aidan rounded the corner while slurping loudly on a cup of blood. His eyes widened when the crowd of men stared intensely at him. He raised his hands with the blood splashing along the rim. I held my breath in hopes that some of the liquid didn't spill over. I rolled my eyes at him, as did many other guys. Asher walked past him with a pat on the shoulder while shaking his head. 

I chuckled at Ash's defeated and pitiful pat. Even during times like this, it was either Aidan or I to ruin the moment, or even manage to brighten it. 

I turned around and nodded to dismiss the awaiting men. The shirtless ones bustled to their rooms in search of a shirt and the ones, who were scared, ran off with a blush to put their manly pants on. 

Rolling my eyes again, I nodded for Aidan to follow Asher alongside me. He walked long strides, keeping with my pace, all while relishing on the deep red, delicious blood. I cringed as he took one last slurp. An itchy feeling surfaced at the back of my neck and I rolled my shoulders to rid of his annoying noises. 

I knew he only proceeded to slurp obnoxiously to annoy me. His satisfied expression said it all. I growled internally and entered Asher's office where he sat in the rolling chair behind his desk with a frown creased on his forehead. He twirled his titanium wedding band in concentration across the mahogany desk. 

I approached his desk but remained standing, while Aidan plopped a seat down in front of the desk. Asher let out a sigh and slid the ring back onto his finger. 

All of this happened in slow motion because nothing was happening and we were nowhere closer to finding Zayden or the former queen. I released an identical sigh and glanced down at my black titanium wedding band. 

My fingers itched to touch Jill and assure me that everything was going to be fine, but as of now, nothing was close to being fine. Not until we bring down the Shadows and not until I know that my baby and wife would be protected from all threats. 

But that wasn't going to happen for as long as the Shadows lurked in the woods and could be staring at us right now. Hell, a shadow may even be behind the castle walls and terrorizing someone this moment. 

I bit my bottom lip and looked at Asher for any instructions but he was drawing a blank as well as I. I glanced a final look to Aidan, who continued staring at us in anticipation. I shook my head and exited the room. 

Jill was exactly where I thought she'd be. She was resting on a leather sofa in our bedroom. Her eyes shut but fluttering occasionally. I smiled at her innocent face. Violet sat on the other side of the sofa with her head against a pillow and her eyes closed as well. 

Nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary. I kneeled before my lovely wife and rested my head against her pregnant abdomen. She was ready to burst any second now, but I was excited as well nervous. I was ready to be a father to an adorable child but I was not ready for the dangers that lied ahead. 

I breathed a sigh against her stomach then pulled her shirt up. My little peanut recognized my touch and kicked where my palm rested. I rubbed against the tight skin and listened intently to the synchronized heartbeats between Jill, peanut, and I. 

"I promise you that I will anything to keep your mother and you happy. There wouldn't be a day when I don't put you two before me." I placed a gentle kiss against her warm skin. "I promise you that I will always watch over you. You will be loved and cherished. You will be my angel."