Chapter 38

Violet 

I knocked on my best friend's door. Surely he had been busy with his own mate since Zayden's rescue mission, but I decided to check up on him anyway. Nobody answered the door yet I heard two steady heartbeats behind the door. I hesitated on knocking again, but stopped myself since Derek and Cameron were probably tired after standing guard. 

I turned my back and began to walk down the hallway when Cameron opened the door and poked his head through the opening. 

"Vi? Is everything alright?" He asked with his voice full of concern. I smiled to relieve the stress and nodded with a wave of a hand. 

"Yeah, yeah, everything is fine. I heard Jilly is recovering well." I paused then glanced down at the tip of my boots with a small smile. "That family is doing well, even Hazel." Then I looked back up at him. "Actually, Asher and I finally got somewhere with Zayden." This result excited Cameron and he perked up. 

He squeezed through the opening and shut the door gently behind him. "Derek is sleeping, so I wouldn't want to wake him up with my happiness." He grinned afterwards, I mirrored his expression. 

"Yeah, so Alexia visited Zayden on her own earlier. Ash and I got so scared, but when we entered the room, they were both at peace. They seemed so tranquil and the scene just felt magical." I sighed at the end and felt the warmth of my children wrap around me. 

"So Alexia is Zayden's cure from this curse." Cam mumbled beneath his breath. I nodded then glanced over his shoulder. 

"Yup, and I just wanted to stop by to leave an update since you both have been busy." I gestured a hand towards the door. "I didn't mean to disturb you from your sleep." I glanced up at him apologetically. He smiled then opened his arms for me. I walked into his embrace. 

"Don't worry about anything, sweetie. I will always be here for you even if it's 2 in the morning. We are family. You will always be a priority of mine." He whispered into my ears and squeezed my shoulders in  a tight hug. 

I breathed out a sigh and pulled back from the embrace but we stayed an arm's length away. "I am very lucky to have this family by my side. I don't know what I'd do without you all. Thank you, Cam." I chuckled and pushed the silly tears off my cheek. 

"No problem, Vi. Derek and I will always be here if you need us to do anything." I smiled to his statement and gave him one last hug before turning back to walk down the hallway. 

I walked several steps away until Cameron's voice rang out again. 

"Actually, Vi? It's been strange being on patrol since we came back from Zayden's rescue and Anabelle's encounter. I'm not sure if Asher told you anything, but there hasn't been a sighting of a Shadow since Zayden came under this roof." He paused and looked hopeful. "Maybe Zayden is our good luck charm? I'm not sure, but I just wanted to let you know, I hope that didn't give any stress. I shouldn't worry about it too much." He added the last part a bit more quiet. I nodded to his remarks then waved him goodbye with a smile. 

I was worried deep down, but why had Asher not told me anything? It had to be because he was protecting me, but I still deserved to know. I shook my head slightly and smiled at a couple guards who passed with their heads bowed. 

My mind was occupied by many things so I set out to find my husband right away. 

It wasn't very hard to find him, considering that he stood in the middle of the main hall with a guard by his side. They spoke in hushed voices but stopped as soon as they heard my footsteps. The guard glanced at Ash then bowed his head in dismissal quickly and walked past me with his head ducked. His pace was quick and when I looked over my shoulder, he was nearly out of sight. 

I turned my head with my eyebrows raised so I could face Asher and demand answers with a single expression. My face screamed for answers yet he continued to smile slyly at me. I crossed my arms then rolled my eyes dramatically. 

"Come here, my queen. You look more and more beautiful each and every day." His voice deepened and he placed his hands on my waist. His chocolate eyes remained eye contact with my gray ones and we stared at each other. I was obviously not going to budge until he revealed something that he had been hiding. 

"Oh, come on now, darling. Surely this couldn't be about the Shadows." He stated then regretted immediately since he knew that this was exactly about the Shadows. He sighed then nodded slowly all while rubbing the side of his neck, where my bite had been imprinted permanently from our wedding. 

"Well Shadows have been absent since Zayden came home and that's definitely raised suspicions within the guards so we've been investigated and we haven't found anything useful." He stopped then continued to look into my eyes. He was telling the truth but I somehow wanted more. I wanted more answers to this endless cycle. 

Sure we were making progress with Zayden having come home and Alexia bringing us past stage zero, but Anabelle was still out there and we have to put a stop to her once and for all because I am always so tired of being one step behind her and always falling into her menacing traps. One member of this family could get seriously hurt again and I am not going to risk putting anyone in danger. 

Anger boiled inside of me but I released a breath and smiled at my husband because he stood waiting for a reaction. He stood patiently waiting for me to refute. 

"Well, I just came to ask, that's all. Let's hope to find something soon." I whispered then tiptoed to plant a gentle kiss on his lips. He smiled after my kiss. 

"If you need anything, just let me know. I'll be in the guards' chambers with Caleb. We'll be discussing the patrolling layout and other stuff." He said then let go of my hand and we parted ways at the same time. 

I knew for certain that Alexia had been with mother, so I made my way towards mother's room. I knocked on the door and peeked a head in to see the grandmother and granddaughter doing each other's hair. 

I smiled at the sight then closed the door behind me. I sat beside them on the bed and picked up Alexia's same journal. She had a new drawing and I observed it quietly. 

"Mommy, look." She reached out and flipped to the most recent page in the journal. "Zayden helped draw this with me." 

I was in disbelief when I saw a portrait of the brother and sister holding hands and smiling up at me. I felt overwhelmed with happiness that I looked at mother with a wide grin and teary eyes. Mother offered a smile. I knew that time could heal our Zayden. I nodded to her message and proceeded to smile. 

We sat on the bed for another ten minutes or so before the door knocked. I hopped off the bed and made my way towards the door when it opened on its own. I stopped on my tracks. 

Usually, nobody wouldn't be allowed to waltz into a room without permission if the person wasn't a family member and I knew from the scent right away, that this servant was no family member, so I continued peering with curiosity and offered a smile to the young lady; but after she closed the door shut behind her, she peered up from the floor with bright red irises and my entire body froze.