Chapter 27

Asher 

A lump grew in my throat as soon as the idea of the tunnels came to mind. That was definitely a place where nobody has thought to search since the last incident years ago. I grew chills and Violet did too. She approached my side slowly then stared at the map.

"Are you serious?" Caleb spoke from the bookshelves. "Don't tell me you're serious." He mumbled. "Shit."

Shit, was my exact thought. He glared at me with warning looks. If Shadows overtook that place, then escaping out of there would be a very tight squeeze and very dangerous, especially now that we know they can possess bodies whether dead or alive.

"No, we can't go there." I declared, but the look that Violet shot me said otherwise. I knew exactly what she was thinking and she would not hesitate to go by herself if it meant getting our son back. I shook my head sternly at the woman before me.

"Asher, you can't stop me. You do know this, right? Regardless of what you decision you make, I won't listen to you because our baby boy could be in there. I know there would be danger under there and I had bad memories there, but that's why you and the boys are coming with me." She entered a cheeky smile at the end of her rant. I rolled my eyes.

"Fine, we'll leave at noon. That gives us about seven hours before nightfall and that is definitely a time to never stay outside the castle boundaries. Caleb, are you up for this? You've had a rough day, so you can stay home."

He shook his head at me. These stubborn people. "I'd want to be there when you retrieve your son. It's my job as captain to this kingdom to watch over you all, so I will go then leave for Jill right after we get home." He affirmed. I nodded then patted his shoulder in gratitude for his duty. This commitment to this kingdom was one of his priorities and his loyalty could always be trusted.

"We shall gather some men then prepare them for the risks ahead. For whomever who declines this mission can have the opportunity to stay home and watch the castle- to make sure nobody is harmed." I exclaimed then waiting for Caleb's response. It was a firm nod and a closing of the door behind him.

I then turned to my wife who stood staring at the door longingly. I held onto both her forearms to draw her attention back to me. Her round gray eyes landed on my brown ones. So innocent and full of hope. Her orbs glittered in the sunlight breaking through the horizon.

"Let's go." I stated then broke eye contact. Her hand was knitted in mine as we filed out the office, with her following in my steps in silence.

"Mommy?" A voice sounded from behind us. We swiveled on our heels at the speed of lightning. Alexandria stood at the bottom of the steps with wide eyes. "Where are you going?" She asked gently. Violet let go of my hand then walked up to kneel in front of her.

"Daddy and I have to go take care of something, baby. Just be good and stay with grandma, okay? Make sure nothing happens to the two of you because mommy would be sad. Be strong, okay?" She pulled her in for a hug as Alexandria only nodded to her mother's words.

"Ok, mommy. Bye, daddy!" She waved at me with a smile that revealed her dimple. Her small feet took her back up the stairs and down the hallway towards her room. Violet sighed then stood up to look me straight in the eyes.

"They'll be fine. I know everything will be fine while we're gone." She whispered while tracing a finger down the length of my chest. I planted a kiss between her eyebrows.

"We should see how Caleb is doing. I know she will be fine, your mother is watching her." I said then pulled apart with my hand extended. She took my offer.

Our shoes padded against the floor towards the guard chambers. The closer we approached the destination, the louder Caleb's voice got.

The sternest in his voice meant all seriousness and I stayed at the back of the crowd to judge the reactions of other men. Their expressions were mutual. Nothing was said or done, not even a shift on one's feet.

Violet had a hand on my chest in case I bursted out saying something. I needed men to come because the more men the better, but the fact that we're facing the Shadows, just proved everyone's risk.

I sighed in disappointment then nodded at Caleb to notify that we should be suiting up soon, but he held up a finger.

"Regardless of who you've lost in the past or just recently, we are a family and a family means nobody gets left behind. We help each other because we all encounter trouble at some point in our lives, so at any point, we will help you, but for now, you must help us." He then glared past the sea of guards and straight into my eyes.

"A brother has to help his brother." With a firm nod, he brushed past shoulders of men who weren't sure whether to join or stay back.

Violet stepped forward beside me with a deep breath. Her hands were squeezing one another. Her heart beat was climbing by the second.

"If one desires to stay behind, then he can. I appreciate either decision as there are still family members behind. Someone has to keep watch of this kingdom while this mission goes down. Asher, Caleb, and I, among others will not be home, so each situation has the potential risk of exposure to Shadows. Join us in the training room as we plan to leave in 30 minutes, or so." She announced.

Men held no further emotion since their minds were racked around danger and the possible deaths of the guard standing next to them. I've accepted the fact that not everyone will survive this mission, if they do, then side effects or even possessions could take place.

Violet sighed then stepped back and looked me in the eyes.

"Let's go to the training room, shall we? I know some men will show up. We should just get ready." I nodded to her commands.

"Anything for you, my queen." I mumbled then nodded for Caleb to head in our direction.

The three of us marched in silence. Derek and Cameron followed not too far behind. I was grateful for the close knit group that always stuck by my side.

The dark oak doors remained wide open from the last time Caleb had left them. Sun rays seeped through to illuminate the room with nature lighting. I breathed in the slightly dusty air.

Derek was already at the sword stand holstering up his blade. He then handed Cameron his personal one and then Caleb. Violet walked over to claim her personalized sword. The names written atop had lead me to mine, which was alongside my wife's.

Her swift strappings and motions gave the impression that she was ready for a fight. She was hungry even. I felt the thirst for many deaths of Shadows radiating from her.

Footsteps echoed from the entrance of the room and that caused me to turn around and look at the head count. A quick look through gave about twenty or more guards ready to fight. I nodded at them and gestured for their places along the sword stand.

"Last time we had to travel by horse." Caleb exclaimed as soon as he approached me. I sighed then nodded. "I don't think it's such a good idea to bring any other living creatures with us, in case something bad were to happen to them." He added. He was right. I was thinking about the exact same.

"Then we don't travel by horse. We travel by car." Violet stated with her chin raised. I grimaced on the inside. Not my babies. Not my babies. Not my babies. "There are enough cars to carry everyone. I mean, as long as we get to the destination in one piece then anything should work." She said with a vibrant smile. I groaned in agony. I could not deny such a beautiful, content face.

"Fine, we'll take the cars." I mumbled, but I just remembered that Jillian drove away in the Porsche. I winced. We still had enough cars for the men to take and get to the trapdoor.

"Let's go then." I declared loud enough for my voice to project across the entire training room. We shuffled in silence with anticipation and anxiety towards the garage.

"Pick your poison, ladies." Caleb laughed.

The men were definitely excited for this moment and all engines roared to life. Violet sat beside me in the gray Lamborghini, but her hands shook violently as she buckled her seatbelt.

"Hey." I whispered then grabbed her both her hands and kissed the back of them. "It's going to be ok. I believe in you. We will do great. We will get our son back through sweat and tears."