Chapter 18

Asher

I watched Violet lay Alexandria down gently on our bed. Cameron and Derek settled on the corner couch since they volunteered to watch over my little princess. I sent a small smile their way and guided Violet out the door with a slight touch on her lower back. 

"How much did the search team find overnight?" She asked me in a hushed voice all while avoiding eye contact while we walked down a marble hallway with our footsteps echoing. 

I sighed and shook my head to her question. "Nothing since the last time I've consulted with them. They found ash all over the grounds so there wasn't a clear direction as to where the Shadows headed." Her silence to my response was enough to sink my heart for the millionth time within the past day. 

"Hey." I said. I stopped on my tracks and placed a hand on her arm to keep her from walking away from me. "Everything is going to be okay. I'm sorry. I will do anything to keep my family safe and you know that I always keep my promises." I pulled her into my embrace and breathed in her light scent. 

She breathed into my chest and listened closely to the sound of my beating heart. "I trust you. I know you would do anything for us. It's not your fault, so do not apologize, dear." Her voice could barely be heard from a foot away, but just enough for me to hear, and only me. 

I lifted her face with a touch of my fingertip under her chin. "Look at me. I want to see those beautiful gray eyes that I have fallen absolutely in love with." My breath brushed her face and I couldn't resist but cup her cheeks and pull myself down to connect with my wife. 

Her soft tender lips felt so delicate yet I could devour them in a heartbeat. We released our hold on each other for a split second before coming back as one. Our breathing escalated to its peak. She was the first to break apart and I glanced her at an arms length away. She was flustered and had a rosy tint to accompany her cheeks. She looked breathtaking. 

I pulled her back into my arms and held her tightly, reassuring her that all the worries would be gone soon enough. "I love you with all my heart, Violet. Whatever you want, I will give. Whenever you want, I'll be there waiting for you. Do not worry about anything." I whispered into her ear as I buried my face deep into her neck. Her sweet nectar was blocked by a thin layer but I resisted. 

Something inside me clicked and I pulled back with a gentle smile. I tugged her hand and walked down the rest of the vacant hallway with her by my side. 

How would she feel if I never made her happy? She did not deserve to feel a pinch of unhappiness. I already vowed that to myself the second I met her. The second I found her vulnerable form lying on the sidewalk on the verge of death. Oh how my blood boils at the single thought of her bleeding and not being able to do anything about it. 

A hand was placed on my arm and I looked up to see that we have arrived back to the kitchen and Violet was offering a smile with glittering gray eyes. I smiled back at her but noticed the bags under her eyes and the exhaustion that swirled within her gray irises. A simple peck of the forehead warmed her heart and I felt it. 

Caleb and Jillian sat in the same place where we had left them. They even sat in the same position, with Jillian's head rested on top of Caleb's shoulder and his hand rubbing his wife's rounded belly. I smiled at the couple because soon they would welcome their own child to this world and it would definitely be one of the best experiences to ever witness.

I even recall myself shedding tears when Violet delivered Zayden and Alexandria. I remember glancing at my exhausted, but gorgeous wife laying on the bed in tears as well. Violet squeezed my hand when my thoughts funneled to her. She looked up to me with a soft smile and I kissed her on the cheek with a similar smile. 

As much as I hated to ruin the tranquil environment, business had to be done, so I tapped on Caleb's shoulder and nodded to the main hallway which led to my office. 

Violet smiled at my departing and lended a hand to help Jillian stand. Caleb glanced longingly at his wife's back, but he reluctantly followed and his determination was evident. I was satisfied that we both showed up today to get some work done, to discover something more than what we've already found. 

We rounded the corner past the guards' chambers and was about to walk past, when clamor sounded from the end of the corridor. I grew worried to reveal what the situation might unwrap before us, but Caleb did not carry any second thoughts and marched forward with long strides as I trailed closely behind.