Chapter 51

Violet 

My body shook to the tragedy splayed out in front of everyone to see. A horrendous scene in which it made me sick to the stomach. Nobody could ever be a the pain that Derek and Cameron were going through together. 

Nonstop tears flowed from my eyes and I could only bury my face into Asher's chest. I wished so badly to have the ability to turn back time and prevent this suffering that we were all experiencing at this moment. 

The sun was rapidly getting covered by dark clouds that hung overhead and Cameron's cries echoed off the ground. He held tightly onto Derek's body and it pained me to see him like this because the couple had so many plans after everything would settle. 

I stepped away from Asher and approached the grieving man wearily. Maybe he didn't want to be disturbed at this moment. Maybe he just wanted to spend a few more lasting moments with his mate before saying goodbye. I bit my lip and tried to stop it from shaking. 

Without hesitation, I wrapped my arms around my best friend in a tight embrace and hoped that the beat of my heart signified that I was by his side. He was going through a tough time and I knew that he was breaking in half right in front of me, but I tried to hold the pieces of his broken heart together. 

"He promised." Cameron whispered as he stared into his mate's closed eyes. "He promised an eternity together. He promised that we would officially become husband and husband." His shoulders shook at the mention. I couldn't help but rub the length of his back and rock our bodies together. 

"Derek wouldn't want you to be sad, honey." I leaned my head against his and whispered those words in attempt to calm his madness, but he was devastated. I understood how he felt because Asher and I had come close to losing each other in many instances. 

"B-but he promised!" He shouted with a burst of emotion. He bent forward until his forehead rested against Derek's cold one. "You promised." He hushed and closed his eyes with force so endless tears flowed from them. 

I sighed hopelessly but continued to rub his back soothingly. I glanced up to Ash's red eyes then shifted to look at the rest of the group. Many of them have walked away and crouched alone in their own corners of the field, trying to breath and cope with the death of a soldier. Caleb had kneeled down on the grass and rocked himself back and forth while staring at Derek. His eyes were bloodshot and his cheeks red from the overwhelming emotions. 

"I am here for you, sweetheart." I turned my attention back to the mourning man. "Come here." I grabbed his head and leaned it against my chest, all while still rocking us back and forth. "It's okay. It's all going to be okay." I repeated into his ears while his eyes were closed. 

My eyes were flickering between Asher and Caleb because they were both very upset that this encounter had resulted in a death. None of this was planned, but Anabelle knew that she wouldn't make it out alive this time so she came with a plan. I glanced warningly at Ash to see his reactions to my thoughts and I could tell that he had heard them clearly. 

Caleb growled just loud enough for me to catch it and took off to the nearest tree where he slammed his fists repeatedly into the bark. His chest was rising up and down rapidly. I watched the man closely while trying to keep Cameron's attention away from the distress that the rest of this group was experiencing. 

"I've always pictured myself raising a family with Derek." His voice was fainted and coarse but I could hear it just loud enough. "It's hard to imagine it now. That dream died when the other half of me did." He continued. I tried to keep my breathing and heartbeat steady but my lips were quivering and I was close to shaking uncontrollably. 

"You can still live that dream because Derek will always be with you, no matter what. I assure you that you will feel his presence and I promise you that he will always keep you happy. There isn't a day, and there never will be a day, where you feel empty without the love of your mate. Trust him to keep guarding for you because he would always value you over himself." I stated in hopes to give him strength to carry forth, but I knew that it was difficult. Everything would be harder without him by his side, but Derek would always be there whether we could see him or not. 

He sighed in response with his head still bowed. I rubbed circular motions along his back and urged to slow his heartbeat down but there was still way too much adrenaline traveling through his body. 

I glanced to Ash- who stood beside Caleb now- and I watched the two of them speak while keeping their eyes on the ground as well as the branches of the trees. Their eyes scanned the area since this same location was overflowing with Shadows just moments before. 

"I think we should be getting back home now. I'm sure you're tired after this long day." I mumbled into Cameron's ear and helping him off the ground. He sent one last side glance to his resting mate. Shivers surfaced and his teeth chattered from the chills that washed over him. 

"Let's go this way, sweetie." I whispered and guided him to where Asher and Caleb stood, away from the murder scene. I would take anything that could divert his mind away from his mate. 

Tell a couple men to bring Derek home. Make sure they stay away from Cameron's sight. I instructed my husband through a silent message. I wanted to stick by my best friend's side during this tough time but I also didn't want for him to hear me. Ash nodded and branched away where he was with Caleb and walked around us to Derek and a couple guards who stood nearby. 

Caleb walked up to us and hugged Cameron without hesitation. 

"I am very sorry, Cam." He stated and pulled him back at arms length. Both men were distraught but my focus flickered to the smell of blood, other than Derek's. 

Caleb's hands were shredded up at the knuckles but a clear sign of the tissue under the superficial layer of skin was coming together and already healing since Caleb stopped on traumatizing them. I sighed and shook my head very little, but enough for Caleb to catch a glimpse of it from the corner of his gaze. 

"If you need anything, then please know that Jill, Hazel, and I will be by your side. We are always your family, alright?" The captain stated and jerked his eyebrows upwards to wait for the grieving man's reaction. 

"Okay." Cameron nodded and turned to me for guidance. I rubbed his arm. 

"Let's walk, honey." I whispered. 

My arm remained wrapped around his shoulders on the way home. Everybody was silent on the trek back to the castle, with Ash and Caleb directly behind us, and the trail of guards following behind. Derek was carried at the very back of the line so his blood could barely be smelled but just faintly enough to know that it was his blood and his death. 

We approached the gate wearily and I took a deep breath as the two guards, who were stationed there, opened the wrought iron gate for all of us to enter. Their heads bowed down to the fallen guard as soon as Derek had been carried past the boundary walls. 

The overarching, dark oak doors opened slowly revealing Aidan, mother, Jill, and Hazel, who all waited patiently on the other side. 

Aidan was the first to run through the doors with a wide smile. He stopped running when he reached his brother as well as my side, but his smile fell once he saw a disheveled Cameron and saw no Derek, he knew the situation rather quickly. Aidan's gaze landed right onto Derek's limp body which had been laid onto the rim of the fountain. 

"Oh, Cameron, I'm sorry for your loss." He pulled the man into a hug immediately and squeezed tightly for a very long time. 

Mother, Jill, and Hazel approached the group not too long after but the two ladies' eyes were already brimming with tears. 

"I am truly sorry, darling." Jill exclaimed with her eyes glancing down at Hazel then the ground. 

Tell Cameron that I send my deepest condolences. Mother stated with tears streaming down her face. He did not deserve any of this. He's already gone through so much. 

I nodded at mother's statements and glanced at the man who was still being comforted by Aidan's embrace. She was right. He has already been through hell and back.