Chapter 16

Caleb

My hand rested upon her chilled, untouched pillow. I sat upright immediately and searched our room all while calling her name. Nothing but silence greeted me. Goosebumps rose on my limbs and I rubbed my arms together. Howls of continuous winds pounded against the window but I resisted to check already knowing what the sounds came from. 

I grew panicked when Jill was not even in the bathroom. I glanced back at the bed and noticed how long she must've been gone due to the bed sheets looking bare. In my mind, thoughts zoomed one after the other and I could not stop the endless flow of horrific images. What about our little pea in the pod? 

My instinct told me to check with the guards stationed along the walls, but she could simply be in the kitchen fixing a snack. Her mind was a faint fuzz and I couldn't comprehend the dangers that held my mind. 

I growled in frustration and took off to find her. She would always let me know if she went anywhere, especially since she grew pregnant. Nothing made sense, but then again, the past 24 hours did not make sense and it could all be some dimension that we have been sucked into. 

I entered the guard chambers and raised a fist to knock on Cameron and Derek's door but resisted because I was probably overreacting. I dug my fingers into my hair and brushed along the dark tendrils of hair. 

I shall wait until the break of dawn then. I recited to myself. 

I marched to Asher's office and sat down on his chair to rummage through the past files. From attacks on werewolves, witches, and rogue vampires, the new creatures that we are dealing with now have been nothing like what we've dealt in the last 10 years. 

Something so stellar, yet so obvious wanted attention from the entire kingdom. I could not comprehend why they would need to take the queen's soul in relation to the heir's abduction. 

I leaned forward in frustration, with my elbows rested on my knees, and my fingers dug deep in my hair. I closed my eyes and begged for this madness to end. For things to return the way it was before the Shadows came. 

Sunlight seeped through the two pulled curtains and shined through my closed eyelids. I had not realized I fell asleep until the ache in my back and the bright sunlight woke me. 

From the angle of where I was seated, I looked at the scattered pieces of paper at a strong slant and thought I noticed a pattern. I shuffled a couple pieces of paper about, but was disrupted of my train of thoughts when Aidan barged through the door and called me to an important breakfast meeting. 

I trailed him a few steps away and expected to find Jill around Violet and Alexandria in the kitchen but she was still not around. I could not feel her presence. I grew worried but showed no emotion to alarm the others. 

I rounded the corner to find Derek, Cameron, and Asher at one corner of the area and Violet, Aidan, and Alexandria at the other end. Nobody spared each other a look and I automatically joined the men. 

Their hushed voices grew silent when I approached them. Asher nodded once then continued evaluating a plan. I frowned at his remarks and disagreed with a couple, but did not refute because the poor man was dealing with a lot of his own. 

I zoned out and nodded at appropriate times. Something called my attention to the garden and the main fountain. I tilted my head to make sure that it was not an allusion at all. My eyes widened at what I saw. 

Jill laid on the rim of the fountain, on her side, with her back to me. Her hair brushed down one shoulder and flowed in the wind. How she got there and why she was there was beyond my reach. I just couldn't understand why she would be out there by herself in a forest infested with Shadows.

With my gaze focused on her and her only, I smiled at the sight of her peaceful rest. It was as if I could hear her inhale then exhale each deep breath. 

But in the bright and sunny morning, I could barely spot a pair of red eyes spying on Jill as if she were its next prey. Clicking noises sounded in my ears so clearly as if the Shadow were standing next to me. 

I took a small step at a time with my eyes glued on the red ones. Not a single twitch from the creature. One last blink and the Shadow vanished. I released a breath that I hadn't realized I've been holding in. 

My Jill was safe. For now. Not until she was by my side again. 

A/N: Hello hello again, my lovelies! 

How have you all been? I hope you all have been well. I've been just fine. 

So I hope you all are excited about this unexpected chapter on Caleb's perspective. (it's not edited btw so I apologize if there were errors.) It was totally unexpected haha I just opened Wattpad and decided to write a chapter on the spot, so I hope it wasn't too rubbish. I'll try to be better next time. :)

Anyways, take care of yourself!! Have a great day/ night and I will see you all next time. I love you all for your awesome support and love for both books. :) 

~Jade xoxo