Chapter 5

Violet POV 

His whisper could barely be heard, but it still hit me like a train. My heart fell immediately from the impact so I covered my mouth with a hand to prevent a whimper from being too loud. Was that the only thing bothering Zayden? Could Alexia and Aidan be thinking of the same exact thing? 

None of them protested so I came to conclusion that they wanted to be "normal". There was nothing to be ashamed of, they were still the same little children that I adored. I wanted to rush them into my arms, but I held back. I didn't want to let them know that I was eavesdropping so I turned the other direction and walked away from the path to the kitchen. 

I knocked on a pair of dark oak doors, that matched the very same ones throughout the entire property. My smiling mother opened a door with her eyes gleaming with joy. Her presence immediately brightened my mood, but the words still weighed heavily on my heart. 

I sat down on a couch near the bay windows and stared out at the setting sun. She settled beside me without another word and followed my gaze. 

"Why would feeling normal be such a necessity when being unique is all that is ever asked for?" I whispered to the window. All was silent but mother's heartbeat. I turned to see her already staring at me with sympathetic eyes. Her expression spoke of comfort and I yearned to hear her voice again. "Why is normal the only thing that the children are asking for?" My voice broke when I finally rested my head on her shoulder. 

She stroked my hair and pecked my forehead with a gentle kiss. There is nothing wrong with being one with the crowd, Violet; but it is best to not be a follower and stand out. I gander upwards into her identical gray eyes. Her lips curved in attempts to calm my mind and convince me that the desire from my children, and Aidan, was only a phase in which it was "normal". 

Aidan understands very well his role as the King's younger brother. He accepts his fate, now that he is a teenager. Give Zayden and Alexandria time to absorb their importance in the vampire kingdom. Her smile never faltered as she took the time to explain to me. I hugged her waist tightly and leaned up to kiss her shoulder. 

"Thank you, mother." I whispered and she nodded in understanding. Never have I encountered such a situation where my own children were not happy with themselves. It was just a lifestyle to be adjusted to. 

I dismissed myself when mother picked up a book and busied herself with the pages. It was definitely too late to meet Jilly in the kitchen, so I changed my destination to Ash's office and entered through the thick wooden doors without a single knock. 

He stood brooding in front of the window with a rigid stance. I shut the door behind me with a soft click, which caused him to twirl around on his heels in shock. He seemed to be unfocused and surprised to see me. I raised an eyebrow and strolled to him. Out of habit, he wrapped an arm around my waist and bent down for a quick kiss. 

My lips felt vacant as soon as he had lifted himself away and stood at his full stance. I did not want to explain to him of my distress, seeing as he had already gotten bits of the situation; but he, himself, seemed to be anxious about something other than Zayden's anger. Something was clearly bugging him and I could not break down the wall that he had built in his mind. 

I pushed away from his grasp and stepped back in concern. Whatever was going through his mind, it was dark and mockingly tugging at his conscience. Even his kiss did not have the same effect as it always did. Something was bothering him and he was absorbing all the pain to avoid me from feeling any. 

My heart crumbled at the sight in front of me. His brown eyes were broken and I could not do anything, no matter how desperate I was. 

A/N:

Hello lovelies! I apologize for not updating this book any sooner! I hope you all have been well and have enjoyed this chapter. It was a very quick write and I did not proof-read any of this before publishing it! So beware XD

Hope you all have a fantastic evening/ morning :)

~Jade xoxo