Chapter 46

Cameron POV 

Alexandria and Zayden were sound asleep so I shut the door quietly behind the both of us and found Derek sitting on a chair rested in the corner. I walked up to him and sat down beside him. He grabbed my hand out of habit and kissed the knuckles. I smiled against his gentle touches and cuddled beside him with my face buried in his neck. 

I breathed in his sweet scent then glanced at the sleeping children. They were both at peace yet the world around them was spinning at a rapid speed. I sighed then glanced at my mate. 

We have been together for quite some time yet he never posed the question on whether he would want to get married or not. I looked longingly at the floor and kicked my feet a bit. His heart beat thumped against his hard chest. His well-defined body molded perfectly with mine. I sighed once more and sat upright in my chair. 

I felt bare without his touch but he must've felt my shift in emotions. I honestly didn't know what to feel. We've been happily together for years and have imprinted for just as long. 

He read my thoughts immediately and turned in his seat to face me but I proceeded to glance down at my hands which were rested in my lap. I didn't think it bothered me too much until I was sitting alone with him in a room with children. I've always wanted to be a father so we could always adopt. 

"Hey, honey. Do you want to talk about something?" He initiated but I shrugged in my seat then looked at him with a smile on my face. 

His face fell flat as soon as he looked into my eyes. His blue eyes no longer sparkled. 

"Your smile doesn't quite reach your eyes." He stated with an emotionless face. I didn't want to say anything but he already knew what I was thinking. 

"I promise you that we will get married once this issue is all over." He whispered and grabbed my hand to give a squeeze and I reacted instantaneously with a genuine smile. It was such a sensitive subject but I didn't want to bring it up too often yet I've always dreamed of my own wedding. I've dreamed to have Violet and Jilly by my side. 

They have supported me for so much of my life and my sister as well. I just talked to Melody recently and she was doing well with her travels around the world but I missed her dearly. There was so much to do after this situation and I dreaded for the day it would end but there was no definite next step. We didn't even know what to do but stay rooted behind these castle walls. Soon, we might just reach desperation. 

"I love you, Derek." I whispered back to him and kissed his hand just as he did earlier. 

Derek POV

We sat there for such a long time that I had fallen asleep. My arms were crossed and I cuddled closer with the warmth from my body. I thought that Cameron had fallen asleep before me, but when I cracked my eyes open he sat where he was with a book in his hands. 

I stretched in my seat and turned to look at my handsome mate. He peeked up from his book and put it down to focus his attention on me. 

"How was your nap?" He asked in a soft tone. I smiled and nodded.

"It was really good. I felt like I needed one to rest up after such long days." I sat up then leaned my weight upon the elbows resting on my knees. 

"Is it alright if I take off to make sure that Caleb doesn't need us for anything else?" I asked and patted Cameron on the shoulder once he gave me a few nods before walking out the room. 

I closed the door but not all the way and when I turned around to face the very simply lit hallway, I was faced with something very alarming. 

My breath got caught in the middle of my throat and it was hard for me to grasp for air. Why was there a single streak of ash that spread across the wall?