Chapter 15

Asher 

Violet's fearful eyes stared past my head. Did I dare turn around and face whatever they were looking at? A weird smacking and slithering noise sounded causing chills to travel up and down my spine. The hair on the back of my neck rose at the noise.

My head tilted at the cringing sounds. I searched Violet's face for anything, but only fear. Fear pitted itself deep in my guts and the irritating noises only made the fear boil like fire.

Caleb shook his head slowly while glaring at the object high above my shoulder. I turned slowly and faced directly at a pair of blazing red eyes that craved for something desirable. It looked hungry.

Violet reached for my hand from behind and begged me to not take a step forward, but I wanted to. I needed to get closer and ask where my son was. She tugged even harder when she read my mind. I sighed and squeezed her hand back in reassurance. Nothing was going to happen. Nothing to her, anyway, and I made sure of that.

Caleb stepped beside me and whispered in my ear, "This one isn't moving. There are probably dozens of them in the woods right now. They have targeted us and definitely made their point, but being out here isn't safe. I don't want to leave you alone out here with Violet, but I need to get back to Jill. It's too dangerous." He stepped back after his statement and watched my reaction closely.

It felt like decades before I tore my gaze from the creature before me. I nodded slightly and wrapped an arm around Violet's shoulders to guide her inside. We followed Caleb's long strides but I glanced back at the unflinching Shadow a couple of times to see it trailing us with cold red eyes.

Alexandria had woken up and ran to my legs as soon as I approached Zayden's door. I rested on my knees and pulled her in my arms for a deep hug. Her brown hair tickled my nose and I chuckled slightly at her enthusiasm to see me.

"Hello, my beautiful butterfly." I whispered into her ears. She giggled at the silly nickname, very much like she had done many times before; and each time, I would remind her of her grandfather. A small dimple emerged when I pulled back to stare at her beautiful little face. I kissed her forehead and let her go to her mother.

I stood then strolled over to Caleb, who was sitting on the bed next to Jillian. "It has been a long night, why don't you and Jillian carry on back to your room and rest. Tomorrow would be a new day and we need everyone to be well rested and on high alert in daylight." I made eye contact with Caleb while instructing so but everyone else in the room knew that I was addressing to them as well.

One by one, each person filed out the room in heavy silence. The endless weight on our shoulders was a reminder that this was only the beginning of something that has the possibility of ending horribly.

I hoisted Alexandria in my arms and rested her head on my shoulder. There was no way I was letting her out of my sight, not now anyway; now was definitely not the time. I grabbed for Violet's cold hand and walked the two of us to the master bedroom where the doors were stood still open wide.

I laid my daughter down on the soft mattress and walked to the other side of the bed where Violet was getting comfortable beside Alexandria. I pecked her on the forehead and offered an emotionless smile. At least I tried to let Violet know that everything would be perfectly fine.

Where are you going? She asked with concerned eyes. She knew that there was no way I would rest knowing that there were a lot of things to be taken care of. I kneeled beside her bedside and bowed down until my lips brushed her knuckles.

"I will be back soon enough, my love." I whispered, kissed her hand, then left the room without another glance back to notice what emotions coursed across her face.