Chapter 25

Jillian 

I wiped at my tears frantically. I was too angry to care where I was headed. I just wanted to get as far away from Caleb as possible. My heart grew cold and distant every growing meter away from him.  

My stubbornness overlapped the regretful pang that plummeted deep in my chest. The baby was kicking violently and I repeatedly apologized to her. She was a mess inside the womb and I had one hand on the steering wheel while the other rubbing wherever she kicked. 

"It's ok, baby. It's ok. I'm sorry for giving you stress." I proceeded down the windy road until the edge of the city was reached. On instinct, I turned right at a corner street where it led me to the neighborhood where I had grown up in. 

The familiar quaint white house came into view but I hesitated to park Ash's car. I drove right past my parent's home. I couldn't face them now, especially not in this condition. Pregnant and in distress. Great combination. I growled and gripped the wheel even tighter. 

How could I let myself slip so far down my own grave? I could've seen this coming. Someone like Caleb was not meant for me. Someone who had an unknown past and unpredictable mindset was definitely not for me and not healthy to raise a child. 

I approached a four-way stop intersection but didn't step on the gas when I came to a stop. There was nobody nearby so I sat there with the car purring beneath me. My head rested on my hands which were still planted on steering wheel. 

Deep breath after deep breath, my heart slowed to a steady patter. But as soon as my mind went to Caleb, the beats escalated. I felt frustrated, there was nobody I could talk to and I certainly didn't want to risk encountering my parents, just yet anyway. 

My stupidity got us here, now I have to get us out of this mess. I thought then rolled my eyes internally. I glanced up then froze at what I saw before me. 

Former classmates were strolling down the sidewalk in deep conversation. I groaned then searched the glove compartment quickly for anything to improvise for my current state. Just my luck, Asher had a pair of shades under the mass of junk. I placed them on to cover my puffy red eyes. 

I thought they didn't see me, but of course they would because they recognized this shiny black Porsche Panamera. I contemplated on flooring it, but that would just be rude and they already knew who was inside the car. 

I got out of the car then waved at them with a widest grin. 

"Hi, ladies! How've you all been? Long time no see." I exclaimed with a rub on my tummy. The group of three girls glanced from my stomach back to my still-smiling face. Their expressions matched mine. 

"We've been fine, Jill. I see you're doing well." One addressed then gestured to the car behind me. "So you stuck with the lucky guy. I remember when he pulled up in front of university and picked you up." They laughed as memories crashed back. "He's lucky to stay with you for this long." 

I continued smiling, but they were mistaken. They thought I was married to Asher. I nodded for simplicity to her comment. 

"Yeah, life has been swell." I remarked with a slight grimace. Things grew silent, but I made sure that my cover remained unseen. 

"I see you're about to burst soon." Another woman pointed to my protruding skin.  I chuckled then nodded. 

"Soon to be due, yes." 

"You and the father must be very excited. I hope all goes well." She replied with a genuine smile. I shifted my lips upwards a bit but let my expressions fall. What if they knew that I was struggling and that there was no more father? But how could they have known? I was going crazy. 

"Yeah, this little nut can't wait to get out. And my husband would be there every step of the way." I stated the last part painstakingly. I hope he does. I added because deep down, I hoped that Caleb and I make amends and deep down I wanted Caleb to raise our daughter with me. I knew that there was no way for me to raise her without him. 

"Well, it was great meeting you all again. I'm glad that you all live in the same neighborhood. We should catch up some time later. I think Caleb is waiting for me at home, but take care." I perked up at the end and waved as I rounded the car to climb into the driver's seat. 

Caleb is waiting for me at home... Chills grew down my spine. I knew that he was waiting for me back at home and I knew that I could not stay mad at him forever, but the question is when I decided to forgive him for his actions. 

I continued driving down the straight road with Caleb and our baby on my mind. How could I patch the holes in this relationship without harming anything any further? 

~~~~~

Nightfall came quickly and I didn't bring anything with me to stay for the night. I silently cursed myself. Of course I would do something like this, it was too typical. 

I drove up my parents' driveway then killed the engine. It seemed like eternity before I stepped foot out the car and walked up wearily to the front door. My fist shook when I raised it to knock. What would their reactions be? How could I dare come back after so many unseen years? 

One knock was enough for me to hear footsteps shuffling inside. A lump grew in my throat but I couldn't swallow it. I grew anxious. I was a mess, but I hoped they still accepted me. 

My father swung the door open. I stared at him with trembling lips. He showed no movement towards me; not until my mother pushed past him to see who was at the door. 

"Jilly?" She exasperated. Her hands shot to her mouth and she rushed to my side with welcoming arms. 

"Jilly?" My father repeated. He finally realized who I had become then wrapped his arms around both mother and I. I cried in both their arms with shaking arms. "I swear to God that boy is going to get some." He said before planting a kiss on my forehead. 

"Jilly, your stomach." My mom exclaimed with wide eyes when she pulled back. I grew self-conscious and touched my belly with both palms. "You're pregnant. When were you planning to tell us?" Her expression was definitely hurt and my heart dropped but I continued looking down. It wasn't until she grabbed my chin to lean my head up. A tear streaked down my cheek. 

"I'm so sorry." I said with my voice breaking. The two pulled me in for another hug then guided me inside with their arms wrapped around my shoulder. 

My father turned around to shut the door close, but before he closed it all the way, there were two distinct clicks that came not too far away.