Chapter 37

Jillian 

She whimpered so I did what every mother would've done. I sat upright on my bed and ran straight to where she laid on the other side of the room. My head felt like it was going to explode from high amounts of pressure. There was also a slight change in my oxygen intake but I remained on my feet, overlooking my beautiful daughter. 

My little nut had her father's eyes and captivated me in a deep trance. She was safe. She had so many people looking over her that she would never encounter trouble in her lifetime. I breathed a long sigh and leaned against her intricately designed crib. It was a mahogany frame with plush white cushions where my Hazel laid peacefully staring right up at me. 

I reached down and stroked her chubby cheek with a finger. She giggled to my touch and jolted a bit in her laying position. Her wide toothless grin was filled with bright pink gums. I smiled back at such a beautiful and happy baby. 

At that same moment, Caleb walked through the front doors of our bedroom. His initial reaction to my being out the bed and standing across the room looked very panicked. He rushed to my side and held my elbow in support. I gazed up at him genuinely and offered a smile in reassurance. 

"I'm fine now, sweetheart." I said quietly. "You don't need to worry anymore. It's been days since my recovery." He looked down sadly and only nodded his head in agreement. 

"I just want my wife to be in the best shape." He noted in a small voice. I smiled at his adorable remark. 

"I am well for you and Hazel. Our family is doing well, honey." I turned to face him and tucked a finger under his chin then pushed it upwards so his eyes were directed to mine. The same green eyes that I fell in love with and Hazel luckily inherited. I sighed again and pulled him in for a big hug. His arms wrapped around my waist and held me tightly against his beating heart. 

The thudding on my ear was soothing and I pulled him even closer. We remained still like that for the longest time and his hands made their ways down to my abdomen. I stepped back in an instant. I grew self conscious then covered my stomach with both hands. I blushed and turned my head to the side. 

I felt his eyes burning into the side of my head but I avoided his gaze. His levels of emotions screamed of sadness and I couldn't bare with that right now. There was a large scar that stretched from one side of my stomach to the other side and it was definitely taking its sweet time to heal; that not even Caleb's energy could heal it quick enough. I blinked back tears at his distressed expression so I glued my gaze to the ground and walked past him back to the crib. 

Hazel laid waiting for me to lift her up into my arms. I did exactly as she wanted and hesitated to look back at Caleb. But when I did, his eyes begged me to look at him and stay. One side of my lip curled upwards and I took a step to reach him. I then tiptoed to match his lips with mine and pecked a small kiss on it. 

"I'm sorry I reacted that way, I got self conscious of my sca-" I didn't quite finish my statement before he cut me off. 

"Jill, sweetie, you know I would never think of anything bad. I could never bring myself to that conclusion. Please don't hide yourself from me. I love you too much to ever judge you like that. Please trust me when I say this." His voice broke and his eyes begged me to listen to the truth. I knew that every word he spoke was the truth but a bug in my mind kept whispering that I was ugly and that the scar that ran across my abdomen was only a reminder of a nightmare. I didn't even dare look at myself in the mirror with the scar out in the open. 

"I know I know. I apologize for all of this. Please don't feel bad. I will get over it eventually, but right now, I'm just stressing over why it's not healing fast enough. It should've been healed by now." I exclaimed. He nodded and kissed my forehead. 

"I know, I'm stressing too, but only time can tell. Don't worry about anything, love bug. I will be by your side every step of the way and please don't be ashamed about anything. Just talk to me, okay? You have so many people loving you for you and that's all that matters." He brushed a loose piece of hair from my face and tucked it behind my ear. 

"You're so beautiful." His voice brushed against my face and made me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. The butterflies that flutter every time he stares at me has never faltered since day one. 

That last thought leaked to his mind and he chuckled along with me. "I remember when Violet first brought you and Cameron home." He paused then stared at my lips before continuing. "You were this shy girl who would always avoid questions and eye contact with everyone, but I also remember how much my heart leapt when I walked through Violet's old bedroom door." He sighed then placed a hand on top of Hazel's head; she did not even notice his protective state of her since she didn't lift her head. She remained resting her head on my shoulder with her eyes closed. 

"My heart skipped a beat and it hummed the closer I got to you. Your eyes were looking down but you were blushing because you probably felt that same lightning bolt love as I walked into the room. Something magical happened that night since I first met you and now, I still feel the same emotions flowing through my body every time I get to see you." His voice got low and his hand rubbed Hazel's back comfortingly. 

"And now, we've been blessed with the most beautiful child that has ever seen the face of this Earth." He paused then smirked. "She's the second most beautiful woman in my life because my wife will always be number one."