Chapter 14

Violet 

I panicked and gestured for Asher to climb the wall, but he refused. He continuously shook his head and eyed the two guards as if giving a hint of that potentially happening to me when left alone. I scoffed at his protectiveness and stubbornness. Although at other times, it would've warmed my heart that my husband would be so considerate, but I knew that every second wasted would just be an inch closer to death for these two men. If he wasn't going to jump the wall, then I would. 

I brushed past him as he stood paralyzed on the spot. I took a deep breath and leapt with my eyes closed. It felt like forever to touch the wall and I expected to smack against it hard, but instead, I stood on the overarching stone wall vacillating as if it were a four inch wide beam. 

"Violet! Stay still, baby. Don't move. You can keep balanced." His encouraging words spoke from below but I didn't even bother to look back, I turned the other way and fell down. My feet landed on the grass with a thud. The faint smell of blood still hung in the air from the guard in the corner. I swallowed the hard lump that had developed in my throat. 

I glanced back to Asher on the other side of the gate. I could just easily open it, but the two guards sat in the way. I did not want them to move any more than necessary. A slight wave from my mate gave me the dismissal to find Caleb and the others. I did not question his motives any further as he probably wanted to investigate the area. 

I ran through the main doors, surprising a guard on the inside, I nodded at him and bolted towards Zayden's room. Derek and Cameron stood in the dim hallway in front of his room. As I walked through the double doors, I peeked at Alexia and she was sleeping soundly in her grandmother's arms. I kissed both ladies' foreheads and smiled at Jilly as I grabbed her husband away. 

Cameron stepped forward to switch roles with Aidan to watch over the women. The teenager thanked him quickly then followed the other two men and I out the castle. 

Ash was pacing from one side of the gate to the other with his head ducked and his mind in deep thoughts. He looked up to us with a worried expression. 

Caleb rushed forward and ripped the chains off both men in swift motions. "Aidan, Derek, you two bring them to the infirmary. Bring me back the good news." Caleb ordered. They obeyed without objections. 

Once they were out of earshot, Asher jumped up to the wall and landed in one perfect leap. He walked up to the two of us, who gave him expectant looks, but he proceeded to shake his head. 

"Of course it had to be the Shadow. But I know for certain that there is more than one out there." My mate whispered while glancing at the vacant spots where the guards once rested. Caleb growled and turned in a circle in frustration. "They aren't showing any clear patterns except maybe attack this kingdom; but my question is, why tonight and why these people?" Ash paused to search my face of any emotion. I made sure he did not succeed. "Why our son?" He whispered while sending his brown eyes into a dark turmoil. 

I choked back a sob and pulled him in for an embrace. "They wouldn't do anything to him. They wouldn't do anything to our precious Zayden." I mumbled to myself all while keeping my face buried deep in his chest. 

Caleb was the first to break the silence and searched the wrought-iron gate for lying clues. Dust came off to the contact of his fingers. Powder flew in the air for a second before dropping straight to the ground. The two men shared a dangerous look. 

I eyed them back and forth. It felt as if they were sharing thoughts and excluded me like I wasn't even in their presence. I frowned and looked forward to touch the gate myself. 

Ash. It was ash that coated the gates in a thin layer. The ash could've only came from one culprit. The Shadow. 

"Ash." I exclaimed. My husband knew that I wasn't referring to him, but rather the charcoal substance on my finger. 

Caleb began shaking his head at me. But Asher spoke up first, "This ash is different from the evidence we found in the hallway." He paused then eyed Caleb one last time. "There's more than one Shadow lurching in the area and stalking us right now." 

My eyes widened at his statement and I turned in a full circle before glancing back up at him again. Just over his shoulder rested two red eyes piercing his back in a glare that could ignite Hell. 

A/N: Third update, beauties!!!! Long time no see! 

I feel very accomplished and hope you all are excited for this update. I hope you enjoyed Chapter 14, if you did, then please let me know. If you didn't then also let me know haha. :)    Although this chapter was shorter than the other ones, I hope it was still just as good. 

I simply have no other words, but take care of yourself and have a good night/day. 

~Jade xoxo