Chapter 24 [Edited]

"Elliot, can you come here?" I asked my husband, as I came out of my office. He nodded and sat down his pen before walking into my office.

"What's up, babe?" He asked.

"Um, I got a call from Dodds. Tomorrow is going to be the big funeral for Don." I breathed, and he swallowed hard.

"Are we going to bring the kids?" He asked, and I quickly shook my head.

"No. I don't want them to have to go through all that. Um, but once it's over, I'm giving everyone the rest of the day off."

"Everyone else?" He questioned.

"I'm working. I just, I can't." I breathed, and Elliot frowned deeply.

"Babe, maybe we could take the kids to the beach. They love swimming, and we could just relax."

"I can't. I want to think about cases and stuff, I can't think about him." 

"I know he was like a father to you." 

"He was a father to me, El. Our kids called him Grandpa. Come on. I just don't wanna. So, you can go back to work." I spoke, dismissing him and he sighed before walking out.

===

We stood outside of the cathedral and saluted Don. Tears streamed down our cheeks, and I wanted to run away. We moved down into formation, and most of our crew could carry his casket.

We put it down in the vehicle, and everyone saluted again before the doors were shut. I swallowed hard and looked at Amanda. Everyone dispersed, but the crew stayed standing around me.

"Alright, everyone has the day off. If you get drunk, call me and I can take you home." I spoke, and they eyed me.

"What about you, Sarge?" Carisi asked.

"I'm working. Just go and relax. You all deserve it." I spoke, I walked over and hugged Amanda and then kissed Elliot before we all parted ways.

===

I was working on some paperwork in my office when I heard a knock on my office door. I stood and walked over and opened it, and smiled when I saw Elliot and the kids.

"What is this?" I asked, and Maya let go of Matty's hand and he toddled over to me. I smiled and swung him up before kissing his forehead.

"Momma!" He squealed.

"Hey Matty. What are you guys doing here?" I asked.

"We wanted to spend some time with you, Momma!" Ollie beamed and I chuckled.

"And why is that?" I asked.

"Because we haven't seen you in a while," Eli admitted. I swallowed hard and looked at my kids.

"Are you hungry?" I asked them, and they all nodded and I looked at Matty who was smiling largely.

"Let's go eat then."

===

We went to a restaurant and ordered, then the kids went and played in the play area, while I sighed.

"This has been hard." He spoke, and I nodded as I watched Maya carefully play with Matthew.

"They are taking it well," I spoke, and he nodded.

"Surprisingly. I thought it would've been messier."

"Have I really been working more than spending time with all of you?" I asked, and Elliot nodded.

"Kinda. Maya asked if she would ever get another sibling since you work so much." He spoke, elbowing me in the side.

"Elliot, even though you know I would like one more child, we can't right now. I need to get the crew into a pattern and Matty is only two."

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah." He spoke, and I rolled my eyes.

"I was going through my desk to find some pens, and I found a picture of the crew shortly after I started working at SVU," I spoke.

"Those were great times." He smiled, and I nodded in agreement.

"They were amazing. God so many times I almost got fired, but somehow Don always kept me." I chuckled, and Elliot reached out and gently rubbed my back.

"Maybe you should talk to Dodds about putting something up about him."

"Yeah, a plaque or something. Um, I'm going to get the kids and make them wash up before lunch."

I left Elliot behind and went to get the kids. I helped them wash their hands, and then we went to sit with Elliot at the booth. I sat with Matty on my lap and listened to the kids laughing and smiling. It was good, I just wish that today wasn't the day we buried the only man who had ever been a father to me.

By the time we were done, I felt a little better, but I knew that I needed to go back to work.

"Alright, I'm going to be home early enough to make dinner, alright?" I spoke to the kids, and they cheered and I smiled.

"So Matthew, be good for Daddy, alright?" I spoke, and my toddler giggled and I knew he was going to be hyper.

"I will Momma." He smiled and I mussed up his hair before turning and kissing Elliot gently.

"I love you." I breathed, and he smiled.

"I love you too. Now, go be superwoman and run a squad without your squad members." He chuckled and I rolled my eyes. We kissed a few more times before I said goodbye to the kids.

===

I worked till around 4:30 before heading home. I picked up some stuff for the kids before heading home.

"Momma!" Ollie almost screamed when I entered the house. He ran towards me and I smiled largely.

"Hey babes. How are you?" I asked, and he quickly climbed onto the stool to look into the bags.

"Whatcha get me?" He asked and I chuckled.

"I thought that tomorrow we would make cookies."

"What about work?" He asked.

"Uncle Fin is filling in for me tomorrow. It's going to be me and your siblings."

"School?" He asked and I chuckled.

"You have a teacher meeting day tomorrow, you are going to be home anyway. So, wanna help me unpack and then we can make dinner."

"Can I help make dinner, Momma?" Ollie squealed, and I smiled and nodded.

"Of course, babes. Come on."

===

Spending the next day with the kids was exactly what I needed. Maya and I got some time together and then when she went to nap when Matty did, the two older boys attempted to teach me to play some weird shooting game, which I didn't want Ollie nor Eli to play. But still, it was amazing.