Chapter 1 [Edited]

"Momma!" A voice squealed, and small feet padded through the apartment. I kept my eyes closed, and waited till the small child jumped onto my bed, waking me up.

"Ollie!" I laughed, opening my eyes to see my son sitting there, staring at me with his big blue eyes.

"We are gonna be late!" He exclaimed, and I looked at the clock, and then preceded to laugh.

"Oliver Elliot Benson, we have 2 hours before school! Why did you wake me so early?" I smiled, and he shrugged before climbing under the sheets and laying next to me.

"I'm excited, I guess." He replied calmly.

"Ah, well school is always fun," I replied, and he nodded.

We laid in my bed for a while, Oliver played with my necklace while I caressed his hair gently, playing with the dark brown curls that covered his head.

"Momma, can we get ready yet?" He questioned, and I laughed and nodded.

"You go get into some clothes, and I'll make your breakfast."

===

Once Oliver and I were ready, we headed out of the apartment building, and into the warm Atlanta heat. Oliver skipped as we walked, his small hand in mine, and a smile on his face.

We walked the few blocks to his school, and I walked him to his class. As soon as we entered, I saw a group of Dads lined up to the side talking to each other, and Oliver went stiff.

"What's wrong?" I questioned quietly. He looked at me with tear filled eyes.

"We were supposed to have Daddys come in today, but I don't have one." He frowned. I knelt down in front of him and gently wiped a tear from his cheek.

"Ollie, don't worry. I bet other kids don't have a Daddy. Now, give me a hug." I replied, and he quickly hugged me. I took a slow deep breath before letting him go.

"Have a good day, buddy." I smiled before messing up his hair and getting ready to leave.

"Ms. Benson, can I speak to you for a moment?" Mrs. Smith asked, and I nodded slowly. She led me to her desk.

"About today..." She trailed off and I sighed.

"He'll be fine. I know it's hard for him, but he's a trooper." I replied, and she nodded.

"Would you like to stay today? We can make an exception." She offered, and before I could answer my phone vibrated. I quickly looked at it and frowned.

"Um, it's my partner." I frowned, and she nodded.

"Of course. I'll try to not dwell on the fact."

I frowned as I walked out of the building, and I dialed a number.

"Liv, why didn't you pick up?" Amanda said quickly, and I sighed.

"I was dropping Ollie off. His teacher forgot to tell me that it was a day where the kids' fathers come in." I sighed.

"Didn't want to be Daddy for the day?" She teased, and I rolled my eyes.

"Amanda, shut up. I'm heading back to my apartment to pick up the car and I'll be to the station soon." I replied, and she laughed.

"Alrighty. Bring coffee."

===

We worked late that night, and I drove Amanda home before going home myself. I unlocked the door and found my babysitter and Oliver asleep on the couch. I smiled softly before going to wake her.