Chapter 14 - Scene 4

As we rolled up to Christos's childhood home and parked in the driveway, one word came to mind.

"Bonkers."

Christos looked at me in confusion. "What was that?"

"Oh, it's nothing. Brick houses always remind me of my neighbor's cat, Bonkers. I was seven when he passed away, and I am still traumatized."

"Aww, poor little guy, hopefully he didn't suffer."

I looked down at my knees. "Umm... he may have suffered a little."

"How so?" Christos asked, unbuckling his seatbelt.

"My Dad accidently ran him over with our lawnmower."

Suddenly a loud knock on my window startled me. "Christos!" a petite teenage girl with long black hair shouted. "Lina! Zeta! Come, Christos is here!"

Christos leaped out of the car. "Hi, Tonia! How is my baby sister? You've grown so tall. What are you, six feet now?"

"No, silly," said Tonia. "I'm almost five feet." Tonia looked at me. "Is this your girlfriend?"

Christos laughed. "Tonia, this is my friend Viola."

Tonia reached out for a handshake. "Nice to meet you, Viola. I'm Tonia, Christo's youngest and most spoiled sister."

Christos smiled. "It's true, we spoil her rotten."

"It's all good," I said. "I spoil myself all the time—just the other day instead of regular, I bought quilted toilet paper."

Tonia laughed.

A dominant female voice joined us. "Did I miss a good joke?" I turned around to see two beautiful Greek women walking out of the large brick house to join us by the car. It didn't take long for me to guess their ages. The one with no expression was clearly around thirty years old, whereas the other woman, showcasing a beautiful and elegant smile, looked like she was in her early twenties. The taller woman's dark, untidy shoulder-length hair complemented her drab clothes and flat footwear. The other woman was the complete opposite, packing on a designer outfit, shimmering jewelry, heels, celebrity-quality makeup, and long bouncy curls that I could not take my eyes off of.

"Tonia, I assume you're out here because you've done all your homework," scolded the older woman.

The middle sister quickly interjected. "Lina, why are you always so bossy? Can't you see Tonia came out to greet her brother?"

Christos smiled awkwardly. "Viola, these are my sisters Lina and Zeta." Before I had a chance to greet them, Zeta jumped onto Christos for a peck on the cheek and a tight hug.

"Aww," I said, clutching my fist against my chest.

"I missed you so much!" Zeta cried. "Why haven't you come around? Is there a new girl in your life? Is this her?" Zeta pointed at me. "I like her; she looks promiscuous."

"No, she doesn't," Lina said.

"I can be promiscuous," I said. "I've had some wild sex dreams about the Pillsbury doughboy."

Zeta laughed and wrapped her tanned arms around me. "Come inside. I bet you're dying to hear all about Christos's childhood."

As I walked through the front door with Zeta, I felt an overwhelming amount of warmth throughout the house. Photographs of the family from the last thirty years decorated the walls of the living room.

I picked up a picture frame off a side table. "Are these your parents?" It was a wedding photo of a tall, handsome man wearing a dark suit and a glowing woman dressed in a puffy white dress.

Zeta nodded. "It was taken on their wedding day." She paused briefly as a wave of emotion washed over her.

While I gently placed the frame down, Christos and Lina joined us in the living room.

Lina looked in my direction and emotionlessly said, "Dinner is in an hour. Zeta will show you to the guest room."

"She's not sharing Christos' room?" asked Zeta.

"I don't see a ring on her finger," Lina said, walking out of the room.

Christos tapped Zeta on the shoulder. "We aren't dating. We're just friends."

Zeta looked at me in disappointment. "But you guys are so cute together."

Christos thankfully teared through the awkwardness. "Zeta, could I bug you for a glass of water?"

"Sure, be right back."

Zeta leaving the room gave Christos and myself a chance to chat.

"I'm so sorry for my sisters, Viola."

"What do you mean? They are lovely."

"I have always gotten along with Zeta, but Lina and I are very different people. She is more conservative in nature, which made living here difficult." Christos motioned an invitation to sit down on the couch with him.

"Is Lina older then you?" I asked, squeezing onto a nearby sofa cushion.

Christos took a deep breath. "Actually, she is my twin."

"What?"

Christos leaned over and looked into my eyes. "When my parents died, Lina and I jointly looked after the house, but as the years went by she became more and more miserable and she was taking me down with her... until I met somebody who kept me in balance."

Suddenly Zeta barged into the room, chewing on an apple. "Come with me, Viola. I'll show you to your room."

Please don't forget to vote, comment, share :P

P.S. Please add this to your reading list ;)

and Join The Fitness Guild: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361442074272412/