Chapter 14 - Scene 3

A gentle push on my shoulder woke me up from a weird dream. "Viola? Are you okay? You were screaming a bit in your sleep."

Rubbing my eyes, I said, "I dreamt that I was being crushed in the center of an Oreo."

Christos laughed.

I playfully punched his shoulder. "Hey, it's not funny! I could have died. I once read that a woman in Venezuela was attacked by a turkey in a dream. She woke up to beak marks all over her skin."

Christos laughed harder. "You're too cute, Viola. Is this your parents' house?"

I turned around and looked out the window, and a rush of memories washed over me. "Oh, looks like they finally replaced it."

"Replaced what?"

"See that window over there?" I pointed at the side of the brown stucco house.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"My parents never trusted me with a key to the house, so I used that window to crawl in and out of until one day I got stuck. It was so embarrassing. My neighbor had to call 911; three firetrucks came to the scene. I am really glad to see that they replaced that window."

Christos smiled. "Well, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving."

"You, too!" I said cheerfully, unbuckling my belt. I stepped out of his car and rubbed my shoulders.

"Are you cold, Viola? I think I've got a jacket for you in the backseat." Christos turned around and reached into the backseat. "Oh, I must have forgot it at home. I'm one of those people who loses their jackets wherever they go."

"That's okay," I said. "I am one of those girls who loses their top wherever they go." I ran towards the house. "Bye, Christos!"

Like a gentleman, Christos waited in the car until I entered the house safely. I recalled a time when Franklin drove off while I was using a gas station restroom.

I walked up the brown wooden stairs and rang the bell multiple times, just like I did when I lived there. For sure, they would know it was their beloved daughter.

There was no answer.

"Hello? Mom?" I said, trying to listen for voices or footsteps inside the house. There wasn't a peep.

I looked back at Christos and shrugged my shoulders.

He rolled down the window and shouted, "Try calling them. Maybe they stepped out!"

"You're a genius!" I yelled back, whipping out my cell phone.

After a few rings, my mom answered, "Hello? Who is this?" Her shrill sixty-five-year-old voice forced me to turn down the volume.

"Hi, Mom! Where are you guys? I have a big announcement!"

"We already know—Franklin left you. Honestly, I can't say that I'm surprised. We always thought he was way out of your league."

I rolled my eyes and replied enthusiastically, "I was going to announce that I'm here in Jersey for a surprise Thanksgiving pop-in! I'm here to spend it with you two!"

"Viola, your stepfather and I are in Mexico."

"Oh," I said as my smile slowly vanished from my face. "I didn't know that."

"It doesn't matter. Even if you called in advance, we would have still gone. We can't base our lives around you."

"Yeah... Yeah, you're right." I took a deep breath and cheerfully said, "Well, I hope you two have a good time. And Happy Thanksgiv—"

"Viola, I gotta go," she said, cutting me off.

"Everything okay?" Christos shouted. He clearly noticed the emotional change in my face as I got off the phone.

I moseyed over to the driver-side window and leaned in. "You know, if I was showing more cleavage right now I would feel like a prostitute, but a classy one, like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman."

Christos smiled. "So are your parents on their way?"

I stood back up and replied in utter disappointment, "They're in Mexico."

"Oh, sorry. I know the surprise meant a lot to you." The truth was, it did, but I was starting to realize that I was more close with the fitness guild than my actual parents.

"Pfft, it's all good. I'll catch a bus back. You go on ahead."

Christos hopped out of the car and opened the passenger door. "Hop in, Viola."

"Where are we going?"

"You're spending Thanksgiving with us, and I won't take no for an answer."

"That's not true, if I told you I had pink eye, you would take no for an answer."

Christos laughed. "Come on, hop in."

I thought about the pros and cons of getting back in his car. Pro: when Franklin found out I'm spending Thanksgiving with Christos's family, his jealousy meter would go through the roof. Con: the last thing I wanted was to lead Christos on.

Biting my lip, I said, "Sure... what the hell. Just give me a sec to text your address to my mom, just in case she comes back early." Yes, I knew I was reaching, but can you blame me? I just wanted to feel loved.

Please don't forget to vote, comment, share :P

P.S. Please add this to your reading list ;)

and Join The Fitness Guild: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361442074272412/