Chapter 14 - Scene 1

❶❽❹ Lbs

November 24, 2016

I woke up to an empty apartment, which I took advantage of to pack. The plan was simple—after my morning breakfast, protein shake, and run, I would be on the road to New Jersey for my Thanksgiving Day surprise to my parents.

The morning was problem free until I tried to start my car. "Come on, come on, come on," I said to myself, listening to the sound of a dying automobile. "Don't do this, come on, come on."

I gave up after five minutes and was forced to call my savior.

"Hey, Shan, what are you up to?" I said cheerfully, hoping she wouldn't guess my car was dead. She'd warned me tirelessly to get an annual check-up.

"Vik, Remy, and myself are at Barbara-Anne's house helping with the dinner. Where you at?"

"Umm... small issue. I seem to have lost my license. Do you think you can drive me up to Jersey?"

"Your car died, didn't it? Girl, I warned you about this. Why are you so stubborn?"

"I am not that stubborn."

"Viola, remember your bird-chirping ringtone?"

"I eventually changed it."

"Yeah, after a blind man mistook it for a road-crossing signal and walked into oncoming traffic."

"It wasn't as serious as it sounds."

"Viola, he got hit by a car!"

"Shan, are you gonna help me or not?"

"Not," Shan replied, ending the call.

I had one other obvious option, but I wasn't going to play it out until I was absolutely sure I couldn't think of any other way to get to New Jersey.

I couldn't afford an Uber, and the last time I took a bus to Jersey I threw up on the lap of the woman sleeping beside me, so that wasn't an option.

After being absolutely certain there were no other viable options, I made the call.

"Hi... Christos? It's Viola."

"What's up, Viola? Hey, how's the weather in Jersey?"

Biting my lip, I said, "Actually, I am sitting in my car outside my apartment. It won't start... is your invitation still available?"

"Say no more. Just gonna pack some snacks for us and I will be on my way." He sounded really excited.

"Thanks, Christos, I really appreciate it. See you soon."

Having some time to kill, I went back into the apartment to empty my nervous bladder and make sure my hair and face were presentable.

Time must have flown by, because before I knew it, Christos was knocking on the door.

"Coming!" I shouted from the bathroom while gently applying foundation. I quickly rinsed my fingers, accidently sprayed perfume in my face, and galloped towards the door.

I whisked the door open with a big smile on my face.

"Hey, Viola," Christos said, smiling. He was clearly dressed for the weather with his slim-fit shorts, sandals, and a black tank top which displayed his shiny triceps. He paused. "Do you have a stigmatism?"

"No, why do you ask?" I said, grabbing my carry-on.

"Your left eye won't stop blinking. Are you okay?"

"Oh, that? Don't worry, I accidently sprayed myself in the eyes with Dior." I slipped my shoes on and tossed my purse over my shoulder. "I am all set."

Please don't forget to vote, comment, share :P

P.S. Please add this to your reading list ;)

and Join The Fitness Guild: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361442074272412/