Chapter 5 - Scene 2

Halfway through my shift, Barbara-Anne stopped by the Hut. I was extremely excited to tell her the good news.

"Hi, dear," Barbara-Anne said, walking up to the till. For a sixty-five-year-old heavy woman, it was impressive to see her at the gym daily. Sure, she chatted with the patrons for most of the time she was there rather than actually working out, but she was so sweet and friendly that her presence made me feel warm inside.

"Hi, Barbara-Anne. Do you want the usual smoothie today?" I asked, figuring I'd better get a head start.

"Yes, please. Thank you, dear." She seemed a bit on the mellow side today, and I couldn't help but think that something was on her mind.

"Listen," I said, "I have something to share with you. I know yesterday was a bit of a gong show, so decided it would be best to take the group in a different direction."

"Oh, Viola, thank goodness you came to your senses. I'm glad you agree that we should disband the group and forget about everything."

I bit my lip and shook my head. "That's not at all what I was going to say. I have signed us all on for a group personal training session. Right here at The Fitness Hut!"

"Oh, Viola. You shouldn't have done that," Barbara-Anne said, sounding disappointed.

"C'mon, what are you afraid of?"

Barbara-Anne leaned in and looked me in the eye. "Failing."

"There are worse things than failing."

"Like what?" Barbara-Anne asked.

"Well, for one thing, getting diarrhea during a Christmas recital is much worse."

Barbara-Anne smiled. "You're sweet, dear, but I don't know."

"You won't regret it, I promise. We have a fantastic female trainer who will be meeting with us tomorrow afternoon, the only issue is that we need a fifth member."

"Well, what about her?" Barbara-Anne said, pointing at Shaniqua, who was sitting at a table eating chips. "She looks like she needs to lose weight."

"Shh, she'll hear you," I said.

"What? Look at that chair leg—it's bending from her weight."

"Shh! She won't say yes, trust me," I said, handing over the smoothie.

"How do you know if you don't try?" Barbara-Anne grabbed the smoothie and walked away.

She was right. I knew what I had to do.

I quietly walked over to Shaniqua and took a seat, trying to think of the best way to persuade her to join the group.

"Hey, beautiful, how's it going?" I said, cheerfully nudging her with my shoulders.

"Why are all men idiots? Shamar hasn't replied to my texts all day. Do you think he is cheating on me?"

"What? Of course not. You guys have been together for, like, forever. You have nothing to worry about," I replied, gently touching her shoulder.

"Good, cause if Shamar is texting that greasy-haired, troll-lookin' trick Lakeesha, I am going to rip his dreads out of his head and whip her senseless with them. Did you know that bitch said I need to lose weight?"

"Pfft, you? That's ridiculous," I lied, hoping Shaniqua didn't see right through me.

Shaniqua froze and stared at me without blinking her eyes.

"Viola, you're a terrible liar. Do you agree with Lakeesha?" Shaniqua leaned in.

"No, no, I agree with you! That bitch is wrong. But I do think your gorgeous curves might be slightly above the average." That was the nicest way I could put it. Hopefully she bought it.

"So you do think I'm fat!" Shaniqua said. Damn, she didn't buy it.

"Listen, Shan, I am fat. I accepted it and I think you should, too. I booked us a personal train—"

"Are you out of your mind? I ain't lettin' no personal trainer tell me what to do!"

"Shan, I am desperate. We need a fifth member or we can't do it."

"This discussion is over!" Shaniqua yelled, rising from the chair. As I watched her walk away, I felt my goal slipping away.

Please don't forget to vote, comment, share :P

P.S. Please add this to your reading list ;)

and Join the Fitness Guild: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361442074272412/